According to Reuters, 13 people which include both civilians, as well as Afghan army soldiers, were killed in Helmand by a car bomb attack on Sunday.Omar Zwak, the Helmand governor’s spokesman confirmed the casualties and added that 18 people were also wounded during the same. The attack occurred in a market in Nawa, a central district of the province. This area has seen heavy fighting in recent weeks due to the fight for control between the government forces and the Taliban insurgents.
Omar Zwak, the Helmand governor’s spokesman confirmed the casualties and added that 18 people were also wounded during the same. The attack occurred in a market in Nawa, a central district of the province. This area has seen heavy fighting in recent weeks due to the fight for control between the government forces and the Taliban insurgents.
The hospitals nearby which include Bost Hospital confirmed that they had received 10 wounded where as the Italian aid run hospital said they had received 3 dead and 19 wounded. The current situation of the wounded is still not clear.
This attack has come just days after a suicide bomber in Lashkar Gah killed 7 people and wounded 40 as the Taliban continued to try to restore strict Islamic rule in Afghanistan and to drive out each foreign force that has been backing the government in Kabul.
There has been no claim of responsibility by anyone as of now and nothing from the Taliban either. Helmand has seen a lot of attacks in the recent past by the Taliban as they control a majority of the area outside the provincial capital Lashkar Gah.
Ever since the Taliban has launched its so called spring offensive there has been a series of attacks in the country. The Central Kabul attack which was carried out on the 31st of May remains to be the deadliest attack ever since the US-led forces overthrew the Taliban from power in 2001.
For a day that was supposed to be remembered for a dominant Indian performance, it will instead be remembered for a bottle flinging Palekke crowd causing a 35-minute disruption. This was after the home side put up another mediocre performance giving an unassailable lead of 3-0 to the Indians in a 5 match series.
Earlier in the day, stand-in captain Chamara Kapugedera won the toss and chose to bat. Unlike in the previous two games where they also batted first and got off to a good start, this time around they were disastrous from the beginning. Jasprit Bumrah wreaked havoc picking up 5 wickets in 10 overs giving away just 27 runs also winning the Man of the Match award for the same. Bumrah is the leading wicket taker in this series, collecting 11 dismissals in the 3 games so far. No Sri Lankan batsman except Lahiru Thirimanne looked like any threat to the Indian bowlers which was the main reason that they ended up with 217 runs in their allotted 50 overs.
Chasing a relatively low target India initially lost their way stumbling to 61 for 4 in 15 overs. They needed the calm head of M.S.Dhoni to anchor the innings alongside Rohit Sharma who went on to score his 12th ODI century forming an unbeaten 157 run partnership to take India home. The small target proved to be tricky for the Indians, who lost wickets in pairs. With Malinga and Fernando accounting for Dhawan and Kohli respectively, new found sensation Akila Danajaya picked up Rahul and Jadhav of successive deliveries on either side of his two overs. The Sri Lankans failed to capitalize on it and ended up surrendering the series.
Both teams will now travel to The R.Premadasa Stadium in Colombo for the rest of the series.(4th, 5th ODI & Only T20i)
India 218 for 4 (Rohit 124*, Dhoni 67*, Dananjaya 2-38) def. Sri Lanka 217 for 9 (Thirimanne 80, Bumrah 5-27) by six wickets.
According to the Hindustan times, the order from the apex court came after the Centre told the court that the public protests across the country had forced the government to rethink the rules of the ban. Additional Solicitor General P S Narsimha had requested the court to not issue any order since the rules were being examined by the government and they would be notified of the changes by the end of August.
Due to the protests all over the country by the state governments of Kerala and West Bengal, the government is forced to rethink its policy. This brings a big sigh of relief for the cattle traders whose livelihood had been affected extensively.
What remains to be seen is what kind of changes does the government bring to the policy and it’s implications.