UK govt. freezes Dawood Ibrahim’s assets

The United Kingdom government recently confiscated the property owned by the underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, making it a major diplomatic victory for India. His total assets are reported to be worth $6.7 billion.

According to Times Now, a massive crackdown has been initiated by the UK government against the India’s most wanted. In 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his tour handed over a dossier concerning the underworld gangster to his then British counterpart David Cameron.

This move by the UK government has been appreciated and welcomed by the Minister of State for Home Affairs Hansraj Gangaram Ahir.

As per PTI’s reportage from August 22, Dawood remains the only “Indian national” on an updated list of financial sanctions released by the UK which also listed 21 aliases for the underworld don.

Dawood is said to be based in Pakistan currently. He is the main accused in the 1993 serial bomb blasts case in Mumbai that killed over 260 people and injured more than 700. He fled the country post the bombings and is understood to be hiding in Pakistan.

However, Pakistan has repeatedly denied his presence in the country.

Sources: Economic times and Times Now 

 

 

 

Defence Minister to flag off Indian Navy women crew’s circumnavigation expedition

On Sunday, September 10, the newly appointed Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will flag off the very first attempt of the Indian Navy women crew to circumnavigate the globe in Panaji.

According to a release issued by the Press Information Bureau, the women crew will be managing the whole operation on a sailing vessel in the first-ever global journey. It also stated that the flagging off of ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ will be held at INS Mandovi Boat Pool, Verem, near Panaji.

In the circumnavigation that will finish in March 2018, the crew will be circumnavigating on an Indian built sail boat, INSV Tarini, reported The India Express.

INSV Tarini is the sister vessel of INSV Mhadei, a sail boat that was used by naval officer Dilip Donde to undertake a solo circumnavigation in 2009-10.

A naval spokesperson said that the entire distance will be covered in five legs and the crew will have stopovers at four ports: Fremantle (Australia), Lyttelton (New Zealand), Port Stanley (Falklands) and Cape Town (South Africa), for repairs and replenishment of ration.

As per the reports, this project is being considered essential towards promoting ocean sailing activities in the Navy while depicting Government of India’s thrust for ‘Nari Shakti’.

Sources: India Today, The India Express

Image source: PTI

 

Blue Whale challenge claims another life

A 19-year-old college student, who recently committed suicide by hanging, is being suspected as the first Blue Whale challenge victim in Tamil Nadu. The police have said that the teen was part of a WhatsApp group of 75 friends who are playing the suicide game.

The victim, Vignesh, was found hanging in his room in by his father on August 30. He also found a note that read, “Blue Whale – This is not a game but danger. Once you enter, you can never exit.”

As per NDTV reports, the police also found the telling image of a whale carved into Vignesh’s left arm with “Blue Whale” written below it.

The victim was a second-year commerce student at a private college. His brother has revealed that he was depressed and had been spending a lot of time alone in the last 45-50 days.

After the incident, Madurai police officer Manivannan, said that anyone suspecting a Blue Whale victim should contact the police on their helpline number 77088 06111.

This challenge created by 22-year-old Philipp Budeikin has been blamed for at least three more suicides this month, in Mumbai, Uttar Pradesh and Kerala.

Sources: India Today and NDTV 

 

US service member missing after Black Hawk crash

On Friday, August 25, a United States Black Hawk helicopter crashed off the coast of Yemen during a training mission. The US military has said that the search for one US service member is underway.

In a statement released by the US Central Command it was revealed that five other service members who were on the aircraft have been rescued after the crash that took place around 4 pm, reported NDTV.

Colonel John Thomas, CENTCOM spokesman said, “When the incident took place the helicopter was not very high above the water.”

Further, in an interview with Reuters, A US official said that the cause of the crash is under investigation. This is not the first incident; there have been a number of aviation mishaps involving US military aircraft in the past few months. A Black Hawk US Army helicopter crashed on a Maryland golf course in April and last month in July, a military transport plane crash killed 16 service members.

The US military has been carrying out precision air strikes against al Qaeda insurgents in Yemen, which is currently embroiled in a deadly civil war, launching at least 80 since the end of February.

Sources – Express (U.K), NDTV

Headless body found in Danish waters is of missing journalist Kim Wall

Police on Wednesday, August 23 revealed that the headless torso of a woman that was found floating in the Danish waters is a Swedish journalist Kim Wall.

The 30-year-old freelance journalist, who had worked for the Guardian and the New York Times, went missing after she boarded the Danish inventor Peter Madsen’s submarine on August 10 to interview him.

The Danish Police took to their Twitter handle and wrote, “The DNA of the torso matches that of Kim Wall.”

Her torso, with the head and limbs deliberately cut off, was found on Monday, August 21 in Koge Bay, around 50 km south of Copenhagen, reported NDTV.

Wall was reported missing on the day she boarded the submarine. The same day, Madsen was rescued from waters between Denmark and Sweden shortly before his submarine sank.

Initially, Madsen told the authorities that he dropped Wall off on an island on the evening of August 10, but he later changed his statement and said that Wall died in an accident on board and he dumped her body in the sea at an unidentified location of the Koge Bay.

Police have been saying that the 46-year-old inventor deliberately sank the submarine and is suspecting him of negligent manslaughter.

Sources – NDTV, Telegraph U.K

Walmart partners will Google for voice activated shopping

World’s largest retailer Walmart has joined hands with search engine giant Google to give its customers voice activated shopping experience.

It has been revealed that Google will soon start offering Walmart products to consumers who shop on Google Express which is the firm’s online shopping mall, reported the New York Times.

The partnership between the two firms was announced on Wednesday, August 23 and it is the first time that Walmart has made its products available online.  The news that has been surfacing along with this partnership is that it a testament to the mutual threat both the companies face from the online leader Amazon.

This is Google’s biggest retail partnership and along with offering highly personalised shopping experience, it is a direct completion to Amazon’s Alexa-powered Echo device with dominates this area.

Giving his comments on the same, Marc Lore, CEO of Walmart’s US e-commerce business said that voice shopping is becoming a more important part of everyday shopping behaviour. And with this personalised partnership people will be able to shout out generic items like milk or bread, and Google Assistant will know exactly what brand or quantity the consumer wants.

Walmart has claimed that it will be tapping 4,700 stores in the United States for this service.

Sources: NDTV and The New York Times 

Barcelona terror attack: a dreadful day for Spain

Spain is mourning over the death of 13 people, who were killed in a terror attack that took place in Barcelona on Thursday, August 17. More than 100 people were severely injured in this attack.

Though ISIS has taken responsibility for this terror attack, the authorities still have to confirm it.

The fatal event began in the evening when a van rushed through the crowd on the Las Ramblas avenue, a popular tourist spot of Barcelona. The driver escaped the scene, but a police manhunt for him continues, reported the Guardian.

Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy called this attack an act of jihadi terrorism.

Later, a second attack took place in a coastal town Cambrils which is around 120 km from Barcelona. In this six bystanders and one police officer were injured.

Post this attack, police officers shot dead five suspects, some of whom were wearing what appeared to be explosive belts. Authorities have claimed that both the attacks are linked. Police have taken two suspects into custody, although neither of them is the driver.

These attacks are also being linked to an earlier explosion that destroyed a house in Alcanar, killing one person and wounding at least one more

Sources – CNN, The Guardian