Congress backed NSUI to move Delhi High Court over tampering in DUSU elections

The Congress-backed National Students Union of India has claimed they have won three instead of two of the top four posts in the Delhi University Student Union elections. NSUI decided to move the Delhi High Court to prove this.

They alleged the personal involvement of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Amit Shah tampered the results of the elections.

According to India Today, Girish Chodankar, the AICC secretary in charge of NSUI told IANS, NSUI won three out four seats in the elections which included that of the President, Vice-President and the Joint Secretary. But the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the BJP student wing, subsequently got the Joint Secretary post.

“We have asked the election committee to recount votes, if they do not do it by the end of the day, we will approach the Delhi High Court to contest the result. This is a matter of shame for the BJP that they have to manipulate results to ensure that ABVP wins,” IANS quoted Chodankar as saying.

According to Scroll.in, the party’s National Media In-Charge Neeraj Mishra told IANS, many CCTVs were dysfunctional and complained about the presence of ABVP and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh officials in the counting center.

However, Chief Election Officer S.B Babbar assured that there were no loopholes in the elections since Delhi University is the only one using Electronic Voting Machine (EVMs).

Elections took place on Tuesday and the counting happened early on Wednesday. The turnout recorded was 43%, a near 10% increase since 2016.

 

Sources: India Today, Scroll.in 

Image Source: HT

Israeli jets reportedly bombed Syrian chemical site

According to early Arab and Israeli media reports, Israeli jets have bombarded a Syrian government facility in Hama related to the Assad regime’s chemical weapons programme.

The Guardian reported that the air raid took place overnight on the Syrian Scientific Studies and Research Centre near Hama, which, according to western intelligence, has been associated with Syria’s chemical weapons programme. Syrian opposition figures speculated the involvement of four warplanes in the strike.

Israel has in the past, very rarely admitted to conducting strikes in Syria. But Israel has conducted air raids previously during the Syrian War against ammunition convoys and weapons storage facilities of Hezbollah, a key ally of Assad. The Israeli ministry refrained from commenting on the issue.

However, in August, a former Israeli air force chief Amir Eshel conceded Israel tried to destroy arms and ammunitions meant for the Hezbollah for the past five years. Even before the outbreak of Syrian War, Israel kept a strong vigil on the bombed centre.

If the strike is confirmed, it would be a direct response from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the course of the war which has already seen advance from the Bashar al-Assad camp backed by Iran Hezbollah and Russia.

 

Sources: The Guardian, BBC

Image source: AFP

Justice Dipak Misra becomes 45th Chief Justice of India

Justice Dipak Misra succeeded Justice J.S Khehar as the 45th Chief Justice of India. Justice Misra, who headed the Supreme Court bench that gave capital punishment to four convicts in May this year in the Nirbhaya gang-rape case, took oath on Monday in a short ceremony in the Darbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan.

The oath of office was administered to Justice Misra in the presence of President Ram Nath Kovind. He will hold office till October 2, 2018, that is roughly for the next 14 months.

According to the ongoing practice, Justice Khehar had suggested Justice Misra’s name for the next CJI last month. But with his retirement, the Aadhar Constitution bench has to sacrifice its lead judge. It will now either be headed by Justice Misra or he will make Justice Chelameswar the leading judge of the bench.

Justice Misra was also part of the historic bench that heard terrorist Yakub Memon’s last minute plea against his death sentence in July 2015. Memon was one of the primary accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts which took the lives of 257 people. It was Justice Misra who read out the Court’s decision at 5 A.M.

Justice Misra has been given the tag of a “pro-citizen judge” by his peers. He was the Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court before being appointed as a Supreme Court judge in 2011.

Sourced from NDTV and The Hindu

England striker Wayne Rooney announces retirement

England’s all-time top scorer Wayne Rooney decided to be the superannuated man, retiring from international football. He holds the most number of caps for the English football team and has a tremendous record of netting 53 times in his 119 appearances.

England manager Gareth Southgate ringed him up to inform him about his inclusion in the squad for the matches against Malta and Slovakia. But Rooney expressed his decision to relieve himself of international duties in that very telephone conversation.

According to ESPN, in a statement released to Press Association Sport, Rooney said, “It is a really tough decision, and one I have discussed with my family, my manager at Everton and those closest to me.”

He also conceded that although leaving Manchester United was difficult, but he is all the more happy with the decision to join Everton, his boyhood club. Not having been part of a successful England tournament side was what he regarded as one of his very few regrets but at the same time, he showed his excitement about Southgate bringing new players to achieve that goal.

Rooney debuted at a young age of 17 in 2003 in a friendly against Australia and scored his first goal later in September that year against Macedonia,

In spite of coming close to Peter Shilton’s record of 125 caps, Rooney announced his retirement.

Sources: ESPN, BBC

Malegaon blast accused Prasad Purohit gets bail after 9 yrs

Lt Colonel Prasad Purohit, one of the primary accused in the Malegaon blasts case, walked out of jail on Tuesday, August 22, after nine years, two days after the top court granted him bail. After being granted bail by the apex court on Monday, August 21, Purohit was released from Tajola jail in Maharashtra. The release took time due to the completion of some formalities and it took a couple of days’ time.

The officer expressed his wish to rejoin the force. “I want to wear my uniform. I am happy to get back into the service of the best organisation in the country if not the world the Indian Army,” NDTV quoted him as saying.

Purohit had appealed in the Supreme Court after his bail plea was rejected by the Bombay High Court.
Purohit’s lawyer, senior advocate Harish Salve pointed out in a hearing last week that he had been in jail for nine years but no charges were framed against him. He also argued that a charge under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against him has already been removed and he is eligible for interim bail.

Two explosives went out on September 29, 2008 in Malegaon, a textile town 270 km from Mumbai, which claimed the lives of seven people and injured more than 100.

Sources: TOI, NDTV

Pune professor arrested for molesting student

A 52-year-old Pune college professor and Ph.D. guide, Dr. Shivaji Borhade, was taken into custody by Kothrud police for allegedly molesting and sexually harassing a female Iranian student in his college room. She had asked the professor for help on getting through a Ph.D. program in accounting.

The police believe that the student was promised a seat by him if she ‘slept’ with him. The 30-year-old Iranian lodged a FIR at the Kothrud police station against the accused. She came to Pune in December 2016 on a student visa.

Police sub-inspector Shankar Khatale told Asian Age, “The accused is a professor in Yashwantrao Mohite College of Arts, Science and Commerce, affiliated to the Bharati Vidyapith. He is a married man with two kids.”

Police say he has been arrested under Section 354 (molestation) of the Indian Penal Code.

When the student came to Pune in December 2016 for pursuing a doctorate in accounting, Pune university admissions were closed and she started looking for seats in other colleges. It was during this time that she had come across Dr. Borhade, who was ready to be her Ph.D. guide and she met him on quite a few occasions in the Bharati Vidyapith campus.

With the help of a friend, the victim lodged an official complaint on Tuesday night. The accused was then arrested by cops on Thursday. He was produced before a Pune sessions court and will remain in custody for a day.

 

Sources: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/pune-professor-held-for-molesting-iran-student/articleshow/60012961.cms

http://www.asianage.com/metros/in-other-cities/110817/pune-professor-molests-iranian-student-arrested.html

Image source: Asian Age

USA to bar Americans from travelling to N. Korea

The US has decided to bar its citizens from traveling to North Korea. Two agencies, Koryo Tours, and Young Pioneer Tours, which operate tours in the East Asian country, have conceded that the announcement would be made on July 27 and will come into effect 30 days later.

Although the USA has not confirmed after the death of jailed American student Otto Warmbier, their ties have worsened. Warmbier traveled to North Korea through Young Pioneer Tours in January 2016.

He was arrested on charges of trying to steal a propaganda sign and sentenced to 15 years imprisonment. He was returned to the US in a state of coma and died a week later on June 19 aged 22.

In a statement by Koryo Tours, it said after the ban comes into effect, it will not be legal for anyone to travel to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea on a US passport.

The announcement date July 27 also coincides with North Korea’s ‘Victory Day’ to commemorate the 1953 Korean War armistice.

Sources-

  1. Washington Post-http://The US has decided to bar its citizens from travelling to North Korea. Two agencies, Koryo Tours and Young Pioneer Tours, which operate tours in the East Asian country, have conceded that the announcement would be made on July 27 and will come into effect 30 days later. Although USA has not confirmed but after the death of jailed American student Otto Warmbier, their ties have worsened. Warmbier travelled to North Korea through Young Pioneer Tours in January 2016. He was arrested on charges of trying to steal a propaganda sign and sentenced to 15 years imprisonment. He was returned to the US in a state of coma and died a week later on June 19 aged 22. In a statement by Koryo Tours, it said after the ban comes into effect, it will not be legal for anyone to travel to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea on a US passport. The announcement date July 27 also coincides with North Korea’s ‘Victory Day’ to commemorate the 1953 Korean War armistice.

2. BBC-http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40680500