Robbinson Street re-visited, Partha Dey found dead in his flat

If you are a fan of murder mysteries and horror stories and your interest somewhere includes reading and following crime stories in the newspaper, you might have had stumbled upon the bizarre horror story that originated from Robinson Street, Kolkata which had Partha Dey as the person of interest in the unsolved mystery.

To give it a short background, when police went in to investigate a regular suicide case; they weren’t very much prepared to trip upon a fully dressed skeleton of a woman on a prepared bed, two bagfuls of dog bones and a charred body of a 77-year-old man whose suicide the officers went to investigate.

Partha Dey’s body was found on February 21 under mysterious circumstances with a petrol bottle and a matchstick beside his half burnt body. The police have drawn parallels between the death of him and his father.

“When we reached the flat after receiving a complaint from neighbors this noon we found Dey’s half burnt body lying inside the bathroom. He was dead. Probably he used the petrol to commit suicide… But it’s still not confirmed. We are waiting for the post-mortem report,” said a senior police official to the PTI.

In June 2015 this entire scenario came to light only when Partha’s father Arabindo Dey was found dead in his bathroom in similar circumstances.

Since past two years after some shocking theories that failed to conclude anything about his psychology over keeping her sister’s dead body; Partha Dey according to local newspapers went into extensive amount of rehabilitation in Pavlov Hospital in Kolkata. After working for a while in the Mother House he was sent back to his flat in Watgaunge where according to the neighbors he acted normally and was accompanied by his caretaker.

It is said that after their mother’s death in 2005, the entire family including their father left their respective jobs and settled in their Robison Street house.

All of them who were at a higher rank of their respective jobs left abruptly and became isolated from the society.

Arabindo had left a note wishing Partha a good life and clarifying that no one was responsible for is death. In the case of Partha’s sister Debjani the post-mortem report found out that she had been starved to death. Upon questioning and investigation, it came to light that it was her conscious decision and Partha kept her dead body for he believed in supernatural existence. Planchet materials and notes were discovered from the house which gave an impression that Partha had noted down his conversations with her sister who had been dead six months.

One gruesome fact that came up at that time was that none of the ligaments and tendons were found in the skeleton which gave indications to the theories of cannibalism.

In the past two years, no significant advancements had been made by the police and the case was thought to be closed.

Within 12 years an entire family has been wiped out from the mortal world, it points out to the incompetency of the authorities in handling such cases. Suicide within months of getting out of the rehabilitation centre is a big pointer as of how the entire exercise could have probably failed.

Partha Dey’s Robinson Street house was sold last November for Rs 46 crore, after which he shifted to the flat in Wattguange where his dead body was found charred.

Was this a case of a general suicide or was there some connection between all the deaths in the Dey family. With the current attitude of the police, we might never be able to find that out.

News Source: Zee News, Indian Express

Image Source: Zee News

Serial rapist and pedophile arrested by Delhi Police

A 40-year-old  serial child molester was arrested by the Delhi Police for allegedly abducting and molesting a four-year-old girl. The man was identified as Naresh and was caught after he tried to kidnap the girl near Vijay Vihar in Rohini on Monday. The whole incident took place around 11:12 am when the girl was playing near her mother.

The mother, who irons clothes for her living, raised an alarm after she noticed the man taking her daughter away. This caught the attention of the neighbors, who immediately called up the police.

The Police reached the spot on time and a FIR was registered against him for kidnapping and child abuse. Apart from that, he was also found to be a defaulter in the  Excise Act, as he was running a liquor business from his home.

Deputy Commissioner of Police of Rohini MN Tiwari said, “We have booked him under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses Act. During interrogation, he admitted to having committed such crimes earlier too”, reported TOI.

The pedophile had been arrested twice since 2007. The man confessed all his crimes and admitted to have abused seven other children.

 

SOURCES: ANI. TOI

Gunman kills ex-wife, son among others on New Year’s Eve

 

BRAZIL : A gunman killed 11 people and injured 3 others on New Year’s Eve in a mass assault few minutes before midnight. The shooting happened in Campinas city, located 100 km northwest of Sao Paulo,a major metropolis in Brazil.

The gunman identified as 46-year-old Sidnei Ramis de Araújo killed his ex-wife Ismara Filier and 10-year-old son João Victor before shooting himself in the head. He jumped over a fence surrounding Filier’s aunt’s house where the party was happening, armed with a 9 mm pistol, two additional clips, extra ammunition, knife and unused homemade explosives.

Araújo first shot Filier’s brother and then went on to shoot the rest of the guests at the gathering. He chased down his ex-wife and son, who had fled to a bedroom amidst all the violence.He first shot Filier in front of the child and then killed him as well.

A teenager who survived the attack by hiding in one of the bathrooms informed the police of the shooting. Three others are battling their injuries at a hospital, police said.

Araújo, who was a lab technician, had been fighting a bitter custody battle with his former wife.  He blamed her for not letting him meet their son and this could have been the reason why he killed them. According to the police, he had possibly planned to take advantage of the New Year Eve’s commotion to disguise the shooting.

While, gun deaths in heists, holdups and face-offs between the police and drug gangs and other criminals are common in Brazil, targeted mass shootings are rare.

SOURCES – Reuters, The Sun

Christmas turns bloody in Mexico, six decapitated heads found

Christmas turned bloody in Mexico when a drug-related violence claimed a number of lives in the western part of the country, with gunmen attacking a family celebration, and decapitated heads found in another part.

A statement released from Michoacan state prosecutor’s office intimated that six heads were found in the Jiquilpan, near the state of Jalisco, which has been a battleground between competing drug gangs in the recent years. The office added that the six men have not yet been identified and their bodies have not been found.

While this seemed to be a drug cartel activity; in the western region of the country, in the state of Guerrero a gunman shot a family of five, which looks like to be an act of revenge. Investigators believe that the primary motive must have been to kill one target which turned out into multiple homicides substantially.

Guerrero has been one of the hot areas of a plague of violence. which has been going on around in Mexico in recent years?

The plague of violence has claimed a large number of lives since its inception in 2006, and 28000 people have been missing till date as reported by Vatican Radio.

Radio Vatican

Mexico despite spending billions of dollars on counter drug cartel has failed to curb violence in its country. An astonishing statistic compiled by Forbes tell that the country has spent $17.2 billion till 2013 which accounts for almost 10 percent of the country’s GDP and accounts for almost twice Mexico’s international debt.

Forbes

Source – The Guardian, Fox32 Chicago

Image source – Reuters

Libyan aircraft with 118 people safe post hijacker surrender

Libyan aircraft Adrigiyah Airways 8U209, with 118 people on board has been proclaimed safe by the Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat as both the hijackers surrendered to authorities on the island of Malta.

The surrender came shortly after claims from the hijackers of having hand grenades and threatening to blow up the plane unless their demands were met.

The Airbus 320 flight, which took off from Sabha, a desert city in the south-western Libya was forced to divert to Malta, 350 kilometres away from the Libyan coast in the Mediterranean Sea.

The Maltese PM took to twitter to post a series of tweets informing the world about the situation and finally at 20:00 hours IST made a final tweet saying,

“Hijackers surrendered, searched and taken in custody.”

https://twitter.com/JosephMuscat_JM

 

According to Malta-based journalist Karl Stagno-Navarra said to Al-Jazeera that one of the hijackers had appeared at the door of the plane and waved a large green flag suggesting loyalty to late Libysn leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Navarra analysed this to be a gesture made not towards international terrorism, but internal feud that is still on-going in Libya.

As investigations go on and hijackers are being interrogated, information that has surfaced from the PM’s office are

  1. The weapons they had were replicas
  2. All passengers and crew members were released unharmed.

Sabha from where the flight started on its journey has been a center of political tribal violence where deadly clashes have erupted between Gaddafi and Suleiman tribes, the most powerful armed tribes in the region.

SOURCES :

Al JAZEERA , CNNREUTERS

Image Source :

AP

Hackers attack Netflix and Marvel Twitter Accounts

Screenshot of the hacked Marvel account on Twitter
Screenshot of the hacked Marvel account on Twitter

A group called OurMine, who claim to be ‘white hat hackers’, attacked the official Twitter (United States) accounts of Netflix and comic giant Marvel today. It continues to hack Marvel accounts for reasons yet undisclosed.

The group tweeted from the hacked accounts- ” Hey, it’s OurMine. Don’t worry we are just testing your security, contact us to tell you more about that”

In less than half an hour, Twitter deleted the first hijacked tweet from @Avengers, a verified account by the Marvel-owned superhero franchise.

The Twitter handle of  the Marvel run movie “The Guardians of the Galaxy”  was also hacked along with @MarvelMusicInc, @Marvel, @IronMan, @CaptainAmerica, @AntMan, and @theblackpanther.

According to an American technology media property TechCrunch, the OurMine team is a small group of youngsters. They are on a mission to test the strength of passwords for accounts which have large number of followers and potential influence. Usually, the group posts messages advising the account owners to contact them through an email id for more information on applying better security practices. Ironically, it breaches cyber security to advertise about security provided by them.

In the past, OurMine hacked number of high-profile Twitter accounts, including Google’s Sundar Pichai, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey

According to Variety-an American digital news platform, the best protection against such attacks is the Twitter’s two-factor authentication. It notifies by sending a numerical text message to a user’s phone in case of attempts to log in from a new device. It is also advisable to keep a regular check on third-party applications that may have access to an account.

 

SOURCES: Variety   TechCrunch 

Russian ambassador assassinated in Turkey

The killer was reportedly a policemen
The killer was reportedly a policemen

The Russian Ambassador to Turkey, Andrey Karlov was shot dead in an art gallery in the city of Ankara.

According to local media, the attacker was believed to be a Turkish police officer.

Karlov died at the scene, which was later confirmed by the Russian foreign ministry, RIA Novosti reported.He was in the middle of delivering a speech at the photo exhibit when he had been shot.

The act was caught in a video footage where the killer was seen standing right behind the ambassador before he fired. He also reportedly shouted in Arabic: “We are the one who pledged allegiance to Muhammad, to wage jihad.”

The building had been surrounded by special forces soon after the shooting.
According to CNN Turk, the attacker had used a Police ID to enter the gallery.

Russian President Vladimir Putin called an urgent meeting with his foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, and the heads of the security services to discuss the issue.

Russia and Turkey have been rivals in the Syrian conflict. Turkey is a staunch opponent of President Bashar al-Assad while Russia supports the leader.

SOURCES: The Guardian, The Independent