Fire breaks out at Pune bakery, six dead

A fire broke out at a bakery outlet near Talab company in the Kondhwa Khurd locality of the city. The fire at Bakes and Cakes outlet is reportedly said to have been caused by a short-circuit according to a report in FirstPost.

Six persons who worked at the said bakery died of suffocation in the incident which occurred early on Friday, December 30, 2016.

The deceased all hailed from the state of Uttar Pradesh and were unaware of the blaze that spread speedily over the mezzanine floor on which they slept on inside the premises. When the fire brigade arrived at the spot, smoke was emerging out of the shutters.

The owner would lock the establishment from the outside and leave for the day, and firemen tried to break open the entrance before he arrived to open the locks. This was when they saw a big fire engulfing the store and were told that there were workers trapped inside a loft in the shop.

The fire officials reached the unconscious victims and rushed them to Sassoon General hospital, only to be declared dead on arrival.
Owned by three partners, there is now a case registered and a probe has begun according to a police offer at the Kondhawa police station.
Source – The Hindu, Firstpost
Image source – Atul Horizon via The Indian Express

Feedback welcome!