The proprietors of Ryan International School, where a seven-year-old kid was killed recently, failed to get protection from arrest today. The Punjab and Haryana High Court issued a notice to Haryana on their demand for safeguard and presented the case on Monday.
Ryan Pinto, the CEO of Ryan International, and his family father Augustine and mother Grace Pinto, who are the founders, had gone to the High Court last week asking for an anticipatory bail.
On September 8, Pradyuman Thakur, a Class 2 student of the Ryan International school in Gurgaon, was found dead with a slit throat after he went to the washroom close to his classroom. A school transport conductor accepted to be present in the washroom when the kid entered, and the conductor was also spotted in the security footage fleeing the crime scene.
Justice Inderjit Singh did not allow the Pintos any relief today. “The single seat has issued a notice of motion to the Haryana government looking for its reaction on the anticipatory bail plea,” said the lawyer for the Ryan trustees.
The Pintos moved to the Punjab and Haryana High Court after the Bombay High Court dismissed their demand for insurance from arrest on September 14.
The murder is being explored by the CBI after Pradyuman’s parents asserted that the police examination was not up to the mark.
Sources: NDTV, DNA
Image source: Getty images
A political clash between CPI-M’s tribal wing Tripura Rajaer Upajati Ganamukti Parishad and Indigenous People’s Forum of Tripura (IPFT) workers broke out in Mandai Tehsil and was brought to attention when a TV journalist Santanu Bhaumik was killed.
Shantanu Bhaumik was working for a local news channel ‘Dinrat’. While covering the conflict and the roadblock, he was hit from behind with sharp weapon and abducted.
Several people were wounded in the clashes between supporters of two rival tribal associations in Mandwai, about 28km from Tripura capital Agartala. The IPFT workers attacked the rivals with sticks and iron rods and wounded at least 60 of them and damaged at least 15 buses.
After the reports of his death, many journalists held a protest outside Tripura CM’s residence. Four IPFT members were arrested after the incident as told by Deputy Inspector General of Police Arindam Nath.
The conflict was over upgrading the existing Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council to a separate tribal state.
Sources: HT, Quint
The Saudi Arabian administration has lifted the ban on voice calls on Skype, WhatsApp and other applications. Voice and video calling apps such as WhatsApp and Skype will be “widely available to users”, said the government in a statement on Tuesday, September 19. “Access to VoIP (voice over internet protocol) will reduce operational costs and spur digital entrepreneurship – that’s why it is such an important step in the Kingdom’s internet regulation,” said the government further. The objective of this move is to improve business confidence and encourage entrepreneurship as the kingdom transitions into a post-oil era.
The ban was justified by the Saudi Arabian administration in 2013 to “protect society from any negative aspects that could harm the public interest”.
The telecom regulator in Saudi said that residents would be able to use internet voice and video call services from midnight but some residents said that they were able to use Skype and Facetime from early Wednesday morning. Earlier many people in the country used virtual private networks (VPN) to get around the ban , although calls made through VPNs were slow and often crashed.
The lifting of the ban has come after the crown prince of Saudi, Mohammad Bin Salman, launched an ambitious national strategy to diversify the country’s economy and wean it off its dependence on oil.
The strategy, known as Vision 2030, aims at bringing up new economic sectors like tourism, entertainment and telecoms.
Sources: The Telegraph UK, Scroll
On September 20, the presidents of Delhi University Student Union (DUSU) were rebuffed by the Delhi High Court for not being present in front of the court in the defacement of property case. While the newly-elected vice-president, Kunal Sehrawat was personally present in the court, the president, Rocky Tuseed, was represented by his counsel. Both of them belongs to NSUI.
There was scribing of names on the walls, posters were pasted around the college campuses and metro properties during the election process. The court has asked them to file an answer to the same and asked them to suggest ways to clean-up the mess created by them at the public places. According to a report of ANI, the High Court also said, ”We don’t want to take severe action but it can’t go on.”
The High Court also warned them that they can face 10 years of jail term if the FIR would be lodged. The Election Commission of India has been assigned the responsibility to send notices to all the candidates.
An advocate had filed a PIL and asked for a complete ban as the public property is defaced in the process.
Sources: India Legal
Amid an ongoing political crisis in Tamil Nadu the Governor C Vidyasagar Rao met Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on September 19.
A day after the disqualification of 18 MLAs owing allegiance to the rebel AIADMK(All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagamleader) TTV Dhinakaran, Rao met the Home Minister at his residence in New Delhi. According the TOI, the Governor informed the Home Minister about the current political development in Tamil Nadu, in the 20-minute meeting.
Rao arrived a day earlier in Delhi and met President Ram Nath Kovind and the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. The opposition parties and the and the rebels of the AIADMK legislators have urged the Governor to convene the assembly for a floor test at the earliest. Rao is yet to take a decision on the Chief Minister K. Palaniswami vote of confidence.
The disqualified MLAs accused Palaniswami of being corrupt and said they had no confidence in him.
The Governor is scheduled to fly on the afternoon of September 19 to Chennai, where he will meet the CM to discuss his approach on summoning the assembly .
A massive earthquake reportedly hit Mexico on Tuesday afternoon, killing an estimated 216 people. The casualties were revised to 248 later as fresh reports arrived.The tremors shook Mexico City and the neighbouring states of Puebla, Mexico and Morelos. Scores of people were killed and left trapped beneath buildings, including a school that collapsed in the capital city.
The earthquake had a magnitude of 7.1 with its epicenter at a distance of 2.8 miles from San Juan Raboso and 34.1 miles in the southwest direction of Puebla. Just in the previous week, tremors of 8.1 magnitude had struck the southern coastline of Mexico leaving 90 dead in its wake. Soon after the quake was felt, thousands of soldiers, rescuers and civilians, many of whom were college students rushed to save people stuck in emergency situations, buried under heaps of the rubble. People ran onto the roads as buildings fell, glasses shattered and gas leaks left strange smells in the air. In several portions of the worst-hit parts, you could see the damage almost immediately as was in the case of the airport.
The date of this earthquake falls on the anniversary of another great disaster from the past. On September 19th, 1985 when another earthquake of 8.0 magnitude had hit Mexico killing 9,500 people in the vicinity of Mexico City. The quake had led the country to incorporate several preventive changes and mitigation measures.
President Enrique Pena Nieto issued a statement declaring that the country was facing another emergency on a national level.