Ban Over Internet Calls Lifted in Saudi Arabia

 

The ban that Saudi Arabia had imposed on call applications has been removed. The lift over the ban will be effected from Wednesday onwards. The nation has banned Whatsaap and Skype and other similar apps as they did not comply with their “regulations.” These apps fall under the Voice over Internet Protocol ( VoIP), which the ministry of communications has finally made available to the conservative country.

Since 2011, the restrictions over the internet have increased. In 2013 the Saudi government even explained the reason for the ban stating that they wished to protect their society from negative aspects that harm public interest. They also justified the ban saying it would boost the economical conditions of the state. Reportedly, resident of Saudi Arabia found a way around the ban by using a virtual private network (VPN). But the calls faced connectivity issues often.
Saudi’s three major telecom companies will expectantly take a hit, because of the volume of international calls that are made by a population of 12 million foreigners living there. Saudi Arabia is famous for having blocked several websites and its online censorship- not just pornographic sites but also several other sites that are not supportive of Israel or their country. This is in accordance with the strategy of the crown prince, Mohmmed Bin Salman to breathe some fresh air into all sectors of the economy.
Source: BBC, Telegraph

BCCI remains firm with S. Sreesanth lifetime ban

Citing that the Kerela High Court’s decision was contrary to the present rules of the organisation, Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), has filed an appeal against the lifting the lifetime the ban on former-bowler S Sreesanth. According to ANI, this came after Kerala High Court’s judgment on August 7 as the board was unhappy with the HC’s motion and seeks to reprimand the judgment.

In an affidavit in the beginning of 2017, the BCCI had stated that the standard proof required under a penal statute was much higher than the proof required for a disciplinary inquiry. This implies that the accused may be free of the criminal charges (following the evidence)  however, but can be apprehended if the internal disciplinary rules of an organisation are violated.

The court’s response to the affidavit was stated in the current motion which lifts the ban. It said that BCCI failed to acknowledge the evidence as a whole. It pointed that only empty allegations that were made by the plaintiff could only submit confessions of the accused, which the defended said were forced out of him.

Sreesanth was accused of spot-fixing during the 2013 Indian Premier League (IPL) along with two other teammates of the same club. Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan still face a permanent career ban whereas Sreesanth was acquitted in 2015.

Sources: Indian Express & Times of India

 

Sri Lanka Cricket bans Chimara Silva on charges of match fixing

Sri Lanka cricket (SLC) has banned former batsman Chamara Silva from any cricket related activities for a period of two years. These activities range from playing, coaching to administrating. He was accused of violating the spirit of the game during a domestic match, which was probed for match fixing.

A probe had been initiated by the Sri Lanka Cricket as to whether match fixing was done during a match between neighboring clubs Pandadura Cricket Club vs Kalutara Physical Culture Club. The announcement came after an enquiry into the events of the third day of the match, when 24 wickets fell in one day and in 12 overs.

Along with Silva who was captain of Panadura, Manoj Deshapriya who led Kalutara Club has been banned too. The remaining players and their coaches have been banned for a period of two years and have to pay a fine of Rs. 50,000 each.

The complaint was registered by the Sri Lanka Ports Authority and the enquiry took seven months to finish. The SLC has already announced the selection of a new panel with Graeme Labrooy as the head.

News Source: Hindustan Times, Indian Express

Image Source: India Today

Tunisian President Wants Ban Over Marriage of Muslim Women with Non-Muslims to be lifted

On the occasion of National Women’s Day, Tunisian President Beji Caed Essibsi called upon the Prime Minister and the Minister of Justice to remove the ban over Muslim women marrying Non- Muslims. The President vocally suggested changes to be made to their Publication 73 in the Constitution to remove the restriction. The President made clear that according to the sixth chapter of the Constitution there should be complete freedom of belief practiced in the country.

Publication 73 was written by the Ministry of Justice in the year 1973 and prevented local Tunisian women from entering wedlock with any foreigners. It was noted that the religion and faith of the man must be recognized by the mufti presiding over the marriage. With a step forward in the right direction, Essibsi expressed that this law was an obstacle for women in the way of making a free choice regarding their partners. When the amendment is made and the law is passed, Tunisia will be the first Muslim nation that allows its women to marry outside of their faith, in history.
The President reassured in his speech that Islam is not a hindrance in the way of democratic living and progress. He stated that he looked forward to seeing equality between men and women in the nation.
News Source- Egyptian Streets

Eight-year ban on Priyanka Panwar in doping scandal

Priyanka Panwar – the 29-year-old, Asian Games gold medalist, has been slapped with a ban of over Eight years by National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) after her samples tested positive for a banned performance enhancing drug named mephentermine. The NADA disciplinary panel has found her guilty of doping the second time, earlier she faced a provisional suspension of two years and returned to the action.

Panwar, along with Tintu Luka, Mandeep Kaur and MR Poovamma won the 4*400m relay gold in Asian Games in Incheon touched a new record of 3:28:68s. She along with five other athletes had tested positive for anabolic steroids in the tests conducted by NADA in Patiala in 2011.

Last year, in July 2016, she again failed a test for a banned stimulant during a national inter-state athletics championship hosted in Hyderabad resulting in her second provisional suspension. The action had been taken from the last year’s result and the 8 year ban will be counted from the day her provisional suspension began. This ban has put a virtual end to her career. If sources are to believed, another seasoned athlete, Arjun has also been tested positive for testosterone. The verdict will be announced after hearing his case. According to the reports of  NADA, 40 athletes have been tested positive for doping this year and these number creates an alarming concern for Indian sports scenario.

SOURCES: ANI and Times Of India 

 

 

 

 

 

Auto makers seek ban on 15-year-old vehicles to cut pollution

Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures (SIAM), the Auto industry lobby of India, urged the government to put a ban on vehicles over 15 years old in the country to reduce pollution.

“Auto industry is doing a lot of work to reduce pollution. We are working to move to BS-VI emission norms. In order to reduce pollution, we request the government to ban vehicles which are 15 years old”, Siam president Vinod K. Dasari said. Speaking at the 57th SIAM Annual Convention, he urged the concerned authorities to help in the formation of a National Automotive Board, which will work as an advisory body to help government form policies.

According to Dasari, due to frequent changes in policies for the auto industry, the sector has been going through one of the most disruptive times. Every developed country has a strong automotive industry, hence India must work to strengthen its own since it accounts for almost 50 per cent of the country’s manufacturing GDP. With the proposed ban, the aim is to increase the “Make In India” program and uplift the sector by ensuring ease of business.

Dasari also appealed to the government to work towards making India a leader in electric vehicles by focusing not just on domestic markets, but also by tapping global ones.

Sources: NDTV, The LiveMint

Repeal of DACA puts young Indian Americans at risk of Deportation

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program which was started under the presidency of Obama has been repealed by the Trump administration. This is considered as one of the most controversial decision President Trump ever made. This announcement was mad on September 5, 2017. More than 800,000 young adult immigrants were protected by this scheme and their lives are in jeopardy now.

Currently, there is no new scheme which will be implemented in place of DACA. It is said, according to Vox that those currently protected by DACA will start losing work permits from March 6, 2018. There are 20,000 Indian children who were brought into the country illegally and may now face deportation. These are data recovered from South Asian Americans Leading Togethere (SAALT).

There have been protests all over the country after the announcement. SAALT went on to say, “Over 27,000 Asian Americans, including 5,500 Indians and Pakistanis, have already received DACA. An additional estimated 17,000 individuals from India and 6,000 from Pakistan respectively are eligible for DACA, placing India in the top ten countries for DACA eligibility,” according to NDTV.

Sources – Vox, The New Yorker, NDTV