DR Congo forces kill at least 36 Burundi refugees

At least 36 Burundian refugees were killed and 117 wounded in clashes with Congolese security forces who allegedly fired indiscriminately at protesters on September 15 in Congo’s South Kivu province.

The clashes erupted in Kamanyola in Congo’s South Kivu province when Citing “credible reports” received by the peacekeeping mission, Maman Sidikou the U.N. envoy to Congo said that the Burundian refugees and asylum-seekers protested the expulsion of four of their countrymen from Congo.He added that he death of the Congolese army officer led to “the escalation of violence.”

The U.N. envoy called for a swift investigation and urged Congo’s security forces to use force as a last resort.

Congo’s government says it is opening an investigation to establish the facts and true identity of the “supposed refugees,” spokesman Lambert Mende said.

Roughly 44,000 refugees from Burundi are sheltering in Congo. Many fled political violence at home in 2015, when President Pierre Nkurunziza successfully pursued a disputed third term amid deadly protests.

The Congolese government, the U.N refugee agency and the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo “have deployed teams on site to shed light on everything that happened,” said the coordinator of the U.N. Communications Group in Congo, Florence Marchal.

Sources: Al Jazeera, ABC News, The Independent Uganda

Over 100 dead in clashes near South Sudan

Image Courtesy: timesofindia.indiatimes.com
Image Courtesy: timesofindia.indiatimes.com

 

KHARTOUM: The clashes between two subgroups near the border with South Sudan have taken a heavy toll in the area. More than 100 people have lost their lives in several days of fighting between the two clans in Sudan’s oil-rich West Kordofan region; tribal leaders told Agence France Presse (AFP) on Thursday.

The clashes had started over a land dispute on Sunday between the two sub-groups of the powerful Misseriya tribe which is based in Al-Quwik , an area which shares  border with South Sudan.

This fighting between the Zioud and the Awlad Amran groups has left 133 people dead, as told by the Mokhtar Babo Nimir, head of the Misseriya,

Both sides indulged in rampant usage of heavy machine guns in the clashes, which continued till Thursday, another tribal leader in the area said.

The leader, whose clan kept away from the clashes said, “Until this evening there are no government troops on the ground to separate the fighters and more than 100 have been killed from both sides,”

The Misseriya and its clans, which is one of the biggest Arab tribes in Kordofan, are mostly nomadic cattle herders. It was Sudan’s government which armed the Misseriya and other groups during the country’s long-lasted 22-year civil war that ended in 2005 and led to South Sudan’s separation.

This massive division of the country saw Juba attain most of the country’s oil production, with West Kordofan left with  the main oil-producing region in Sudan.

2 dead and 19 injured as groups clash in Saharanpur

Picture Courtesy – ABP News, timesofindia.indiatimes.com
Saharanpur: 2 people died while 19 others were badly wounded as two groups clashed in the Saharanpur district of Uttar Pradesh earlier in the day. As the reports suggest, the chaos broke out over the construction of a disputed property which suddenly grew out of proportion.

Shops were set on fire while vehicles were vandalised as the scene turned ugly. The police did arrive but had to bear the brunt of the protesters who pelted stones at each other. Reports also suggest that there were few rounds of bullets fired though official confirmation has yet not been given.

Curfew has been imposed with senior officials from the police force rushed to meet the emergency. According to IANS, the traffic on the highway that leads to Ambala also got disrupted. There have been a massive number of security personnel deployed in the area with reports of PAC and RAF also called in.

Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/up-two-dead-19-injured-in-violent-clashes-in-saharanpur-several-vehicles-set-on-fire-565570

2 dead and over 60 injured in fresh clashes in Thailand

Picture Courtesy: BBC
In a fresh row of clashes and protests in the anti-government violence that has ripped apart Thailand since last November, around 60 people are reported to be injured with a civilian and police official dead since this morning.

Dozens of people have been arrested and injured since the clash between the Thai police and the civilians took place as police tried to clear the demonstrations and protests outside a minister’s building earlier in the day. In a call that the government had signaled regarding retaking over the besieged building by the civilians this week while the protesters ask for the government to step down, the police as it seems has had failed to come to negotiations with them; a process that they had started few days back.

On Tuesday, protest leader and former opposition politician Suthep Thaugsuban said in an address to police: “We are not fighting to get power for ourselves. The reforms we will set in motion will benefit your children and grandchildren, too. The only enemy of the people is the Thaksin regime.”

There have been gunshots heard around the capital area near the Democracy monument in central Bangkok while reports of police being injured by grenade attacks and shrapnel from bomb blasts are at large. The prime minister’s office, Government House, has been a focal point for the demonstrators with thousands even protesting last evening forcing the gates to shut in a bid to stop officials returning to work.