Yusuf Pathan handed five-month suspension by BCCI on doping charges

Indian Cricket juggernaut, Yusuf Pathan, has been handed a five-month ban following a doping charge against him. The BCCI released a statement confirming the 35-year old’s ban saying “inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance, which can be commonly found in cough syrups.” A urine sample provided by Pathan on March 16, 2017, was tested and found to contain ‘Terbutaline’.

However, Pathan’s suspension has been backdated to 15th August 2017, meaning he will complete the five months on 18th January 2018 itself.

The BCCI claim to be satisfied with Pathan’s explanation to the cause, stating he had taken Terbutaline only to treat his Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI) and not as a performance-enhancing drug.

The statement read, “On 27 October 2017, Pathan was charged with the commission of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) under the BCCI Anti-Doping Rules (ADR) Article 2.1 and provisionally suspended pending determination of the charge. Mr Pathan responded to the charge by admitting the ADRV and asserting that it was caused by his ingestion of a medication containing Terbutaline that had been mistakenly given to him instead of the medication prescribed for him, which did not contain any prohibited substance.”

In his career between 2008 and 2012, Yusuf Pathan played 57 ODIs and 22 T20Is for India and was part of the T20 World Cup winning squad in 2007 and the ODI World Cup winning squad in 2011. The Baroda man has had a superb stint in the Indian Premier League as well, scoring over 2500 runs with a strike rate of 146, with Rajasthan Royals and Kolkata Knight Riders.

Sources – TOI, NDTV

MCA removes Shah Rukh’s Wankhede ban

The Managing Committee meeting of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA), on Sunday, removed a five year ban on Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan’s entry to Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
Khan, Owner of the KKR (Kolkata Knight Riders ) team in the IPL (Indian Premier League), was banned from entering the stadium in May 2015 following misbehaviour with a security person and MCA officials after a IPL match in which KKR  beat the Mumbai Indians.
The MCA had accused the actor of being ‘drunk’ and alleged that he forced his way to the ground after the match was over and misbehaved with security guards when they tried to stop him. However, these allegations were denied by Khan who said that he was angered because his children were ‘ physically manhandled in the name of security’.
Some members of the MCA wanted to lift the ban a few years before itself since he completed a considerable period (three years) of it without making any attempt to enter the stadium.
PV Shetty, Joint Secratary of MCA told TOI ,” It has already been three years since we banned him. The managing committee unanimously felt that his ban should be lifted. Shah Rukh is now most welcome to come and watch matches at the Wankhede Stadium.”
In an attempt to bring back the IPL final of 2013 from Bangalore to Mumbai, the MCA was ready to temporarily lift Khan’s ban for a day. But this move of MCA had failed as the BCCI had chosen Bangalore over Mumbai for the final match.
Courtesy: www.ibnlive.com A fve year ban was imposed on Shah Rukh Khan from entering Wankhede following allegations of his misbehaviour
Courtesy: www.ibnlive.com
A fve year ban was imposed on Shah Rukh Khan from entering Wankhede following allegations of his misbehaviour