Humans, not Rats to be blamed for Black Death

Image Courtesy: Hulton/Getty Images Archives
Artwork depicts people praying during the Great Plague of London, circa 1350.

Washington D.C., January 16:  A recent study suggests that the cause of Black Death can be humans themselves and not rats. It is considered to be the worst pandemics in the human history, killing 25 million Europeans between 1347-1351. The proceedings at the National Academy of Science studied this through the records then, carefully.

Back in the 19th century Europe, the plague was known to be caused by Bacterium Yersinia, spread largely by rats. But after a detailed study done at the University of Oslo and University of Ferrara, it is believed that human lice and human fleas can be the root cause of the spread of this epidemic.
“We have good mortality data from outbreaks in nine cities in Europe,” Prof Nils Stenseth, from the University of Oslo, told BBC News. “So we could construct models of the disease dynamics [there]. He added. A model was constructed that analysed closely the case.
It consisted of how the disease was spread largely, by rats, airborne or human lice and fleas. It was observed that the results of the outbreak was matching the most with the human model.

Bomb Explosion in London Underground Train Confirmed as an Act of Terrorism

On Friday morning, a crudely made bomb exploded on a London Underground train at 8 20 am. The device explosion injured twenty nine commuters. The people were immediately rushed to hospitals for their burn injuries and have been discharged now. A police investigation has begun for the person who detonated the bomb, and evacuation of the station has been completed.

The blast occurred at Parsons Green on a District Line underground train from Wimbledon. Scotland Yard has determined that the incident was of terrorism. A huge number of detectives and MI5 have been deployed to hunt down the person who initiated the act. The bomb had been made in an improvised manner and placed inside a white bucket reportedly with a timer. The bomb was said to not have exploded in the intended manner, which otherwise would have killed all commuters around it and grievously injured all present on the train.
Britain Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the attack heavily and released a statement saying the UK’s terror threat levels would be reviewed again. Scarily, this is already the fifth incident of terrorism happening in the UK this year, and the only one in which all survived. Expert handlers will be looking at the remains of the device which is now in the hands of the police.
News Sources- The New York Times, BBC

18-year-old arrested in connection to London Tube blast

An 18-year-old man has been arrested by the London Police during their ongoing  investigation in the London Tube ‘bucket blast’ at Parsons Green station early on Friday morning.The arrest was made early on Saturday, September 16, by the Kent police in the port area of Dover, under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act.

As reported by News 18, in a statement made by the police to the press, Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said, “Although we are pleased with the progress made, this investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical,”

The Islamic State, better known as ISIS, has claimed responsibility of the attack, which left dozens injured, leaving the people of London in shock and anger. However, Met Police Commissioner Mark Rowley dismissed it saying it was “very routine” of ISIS to claim attacks whether they were responsible for it or not.

This is the fifth terrorist attack since March in Britain, the London and Manchester attacks claimed the lives of 35 people. Prime Minister Theresa May announced on Friday that the level of threat is “critical” and that another attack could be imminent, as she advised the public to be vigilant, in addition to keeping security tight, as military troops would support the police in guarding key areas for public safety.

Sources: News18, Mirror

Sundar Singh bags first Gold for India at World Paralympics Championship

India’s Sundar Singh Gurjar emerged victorious at the World Para-Athletic Championship in London, winning a gold medal in the men’s javelin throw event, on the opening night of the tournament itself.

In F46 category, Sundar recored his personal best of 60.36m to secure his position in the first place.

21-year old Sundar, who is from Rajasthan, was disqualified from the Rio Paralympics last year as a result of missing his announcement call by a minute because of the failure to understand the accent.

After winning the Gold, Sundar said that he was highly disheartened with the Rio disqualification and his morale was completely shattered but has expressed his feeling of content with his comeback in this competition.

“This gold medal is great motivation for me to perform even better from here on. I have recovered fully, and will do even better at the Asian Games (next year).”

The second and the third position were secured by Sri Lanka’s Dinesh Priyantha Herath with 57.93m and Gua Chunliang from China with 56.16.

Virender Bhanwar narrowly missed a medal as he finished fourth with 13.62cm in the men’s short put event at the World Championship. Ekta Bhayan finished sixth in the women’s club throw F51 event.

 

Sources: Indian Express, Times of India

Fire at London’s famed Camden market

London’s famed “Camden market” was gutted as a result of the fire which broke just before midnight as reported by NBC news. The cause of the fire is unknown, though BBC Radio reported that the fire started from “Honest Burger Restaurant” on the ground floor. There have been no immediate reports of any injuries or causalities. The fire has burnt down the first, second and third floors of a building. The incident comes days after the 24 story Grenfell tower was gutted and 80 people were charred to death.

According to reports from Livemint, 70 firefighters and 10 fire trucks were sent to the site. “Crews worked hard to get the fire under control and to stop it from spreading to neighbouring buildings,” station manager David Reid said. The London Ambulance Service was called into action but it reported no patients were injured per se. Police had to be called in order to close down the streets as the fire was spreading very fast and became a threat to the commuters. Till the time the fire was doused down 10% of the market suffered damage, while others are intact thanks to the efficient work put up by the firefighters.

Camden is a famous tourist spot built in 1974 which caters to 28 million visitors each year for shopping, entertainment or attracted by nightlife.

 

Sources: NBC, BBC

Image Source: ABC

Vijay Mallya extradition case: Hearing scheduled in London on July 6

The Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London will hear the extradition case of Kingfisher tycoon Vijay Mallya on July 6.

This decision came after a joint team of India’s Central Bureau of Investigation and Enforcement Directorate submitted relevant documents against him.

Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service will represent India in the court and refuted the claims that Indian government’s extradition request was criticised by the chief magistrate.

NDTV reports say that both CBI and CPS were given a period of four weeks by the court to produce evidence.

India made its first formal request to extradite him on February 8. Mallya lambasted this decision of Indian government and had his first hearing on the extradition case on June 13.

The Indian government, on the other hand has left no stone unturned to ensure that there are no gaps in the Mallya case.

Mallya ws arrested by the Scotland Yard in April but was shortly released on a bail bond worth Rs 6,50,000 pounds. The Indian authorities are after him for a long time after he defaulted on re-payment of loan worth Rs 900 crore.

Mallya and controversies go hand in hand. Last week, he grabbed headlines after he made an appearance at the India-SA Champions Trophy match held at the Oval grounds in London and got heckled at the hands of angry Indian fans who called him ‘Chor’.

Sources: Financial Express, Business Standard

Films with quality, change win big at London Indian Film Festival 2017

Mumbai, July 1: The London Indian Film Festival this year saw the emergence of parallel cinema and serious filmmaking as its focus. It saw the rise of new names in the film world. The festival this year endorses the British Film Institute’s “India on Film” series and corresponds with the UK India Year of Culture celebrations in London. This is the eight edition of the annual festival. It is supported by Bagri Foundation.

The film titled, “A Billion Colour Story”, that spoke about Hindu and Muslim unity won the top award. The Indian Express informs that Bollywood filmmaker Satish Kaushik produced the film, while Padmakumar Narasimhamurthy directed it. It was heart-warming and won the Audience Award. The filmmakers were pleased that the film had an impact with international audiences. They were contented that feelings and belief systems are similar across cultures.

Ashutosh Gowarikar from Mumbai, Adoor Gopalakrishnan from Kerala and documentary filmmaker Pratibha Parmar from London were conferred with the Sunmark ICON Awards. Siddharth Chauhan won the Satyajit Ray Short Film Award for his film, “Papa”. He informed the media that he made this film to fight depression. The festival aims to promote the transformations in Indian cinema. It fosters new talent. The works of Sanal Kumar Sasidharan, a young director and Anjali Patil, emerging female actor were showcased, mentions the Asian Age.

Sources: The Indian Express, Asian Age