Amid an ongoing political crisis in Tamil Nadu the Governor C Vidyasagar Rao met Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on September 19.
A day after the disqualification of 18 MLAs owing allegiance to the rebel AIADMK(All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagamleader) TTV Dhinakaran, Rao met the Home Minister at his residence in New Delhi. According the TOI, the Governor informed the Home Minister about the current political development in Tamil Nadu, in the 20-minute meeting.
Rao arrived a day earlier in Delhi and met President Ram Nath Kovind and the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. The opposition parties and the and the rebels of the AIADMK legislators have urged the Governor to convene the assembly for a floor test at the earliest. Rao is yet to take a decision on the Chief Minister K. Palaniswami vote of confidence.
The disqualified MLAs accused Palaniswami of being corrupt and said they had no confidence in him.
The Governor is scheduled to fly on the afternoon of September 19 to Chennai, where he will meet the CM to discuss his approach on summoning the assembly .
On Wednesday, India agreed to grant citizenship to approximately one lakh Chakma-Hajong refugees including Hindus and Buddhists that have been staying in Arunachal Pradesh for half a century, and who had fled from Bangladesh in the 1960’s fearing ethnic cleansing and religious persecution in the Chittagong Hill region of Bangladesh.
This decision was arrived upon in a meeting headed by Home Minister Rajnath Singh and was presided over by the National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval, MoS Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju, and Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu.
“The Chakmas have settled in Arunachal Pradesh since 1964. But the rights of the Scheduled Castes and indigenous tribes [in the state] will not be diluted.” An unidentified home ministry official said that though the Chakmas and Hajongs would be granted citizenship, they would not have any right to land ownership in the state as reported in Scroll.in
Earlier in 2015, the Supreme Court had requested the Centre to grant citizenship to the Chakma and Hajong refugees. However, several organizations and civil society groups in Arunachal Pradesh were starkly against the move. In their opinion, it would change the demographic dimensions of the state and affect the minority status of the tribal population.
Sources: The Wire, Economic Times
People from border areas living in schools-turned-camps, who were uprooted from their homes after firing by Pakistan army have demanded individual bunkers as their residences. Four months ago, more than 5,000 people living in 23 hamlets along the LOC or near the border area were forced to leave their houses in Nowshera sector of Rajouri district following heavy firing and shelling. According to Livemint, on Union Home minister, Rajnath Singh’s visit to the Nowshera sector of Rajouri district, the displaced people have asked him for individual bunkers.
Prashtom Kumar, a Jangarh resident, said,” Our first and foremost demand is that government should set up individual bunkers in each of the border house if we have to live again along the LoC. This is most and first demand of the LOC people.”
In the recent past, firing and shelling by Pakistani troops have killed four civilians and five others were injured.
MLA Ravinder Raina of Nowshera supported their demands and said, “ chunk of land should be provided to the LOC dwellers to build safe places.”
Sources – Livemint and Times of India
Shouts for azaadi and the fight for the ‘Kashmiri Cause’ have not died down even a year after the death of Burhan Wani, the Hizbul Mujahideen commander who was killed by security forces on July 8, 2016.
Kashmir raged and raged, with thousands of protestors attending his funeral and later clashing with the security forces. Civilians, mobs and police were all targets in the four months of violence that followed. The Modi Government first asked from security forces for ‘absolute restraint’ but then sent reinforcements to the Valley. As ministers began a blame game on Pakistan, Kashmir simmered under a series of curfews. Tensions between the ruling alliances of Bharatiya Janata Party and People’s Democratic Party ensured a confused direction towards a Kashmir policy. The Central Government’s policy of non-engagment with the people of Kashmir further stoked the fire.
The speed of handling law and order situation in Kashmir by both governments has been sluggish at best. Months before the day marking the death anniversary of Wani, the Jammu and Kashmir Government increased the number of security forces along the national highways and remote areas of the valley. A week before July 8, due to the announcement of the Hizbul leader Syed Salahuddin, to mark a week of protest for martyrs like Wani, the State Government declared a week long holiday for schools and colleges not wanting to risk any provocations. Separatist leaders were kept in preventive custody as a precautionary measure.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh held several high level meetings on July 6 with security as well as intelligence agencies and sent 214 companies of para military forces to Kashmir. The J&K Police ordered internet service providers to shut all services for security reasons. Social media websites, through which Wani gained popularity, were also blocked. On July 8, certain districts of Kashmir were under complete shutdown or under curfew-like situations and no large gatherings were allowed. In spite of restrictions, clashes still occurred between protestors and security forces in Wani’s hometown, Tral.
But between the collective actions of both governments and claims of Pakistani propaganda the inevitable has already happened. Burhan Wani has gained the status of a martyr in Kashmir and even after his death the separatist cause continues to burn. India should be very cautious in how it treats home grown insurgency henceforth.
Sources: Indian Express, Bangalore Mirror
Union Minister Kiren Rijiju urged the government of Manipur on Friday to help the state return to normalcy by breaking the economic blockade imposed on NH-2 by the United Naga Council on November 1. He stated it to be the duty of the state to stabilize the conditions and ensure removal of the blockade from the highway, reported Scroll.
Rijiju also talked about the worrisome law and order conditions in the state and promised to figure out a solution with the Centre for the same. He is expected to visit Manipur for a day-long trip today.
Meanwhile, on Thursday Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh asked Nagaland CM T R Zeliang to make sure no problems arise in vehicle movements in Manipur with regards to reports of a blockade of vehicles being called for by the Naga Students Federation in the state.
He also reprimanded Manipur CM O Ibobi Singh on the shortage of goods being caused by the blockade in the state and urged him to take steps to solve the difficulties being faced by the citizens.
The blockade has led to huge problems and increase in violence in the state. A curfew was imposed in the Imphal East district on December 18 by the Manipur government which has been relaxed for Friday between 4 am and 9 pm. However, it is to stay in Lamlong to Yaingangpokpi and the areas between 300 metres on either side of the road.
Sources: India Today, Times Of India
Image source: PTI, Financial Express
As a strategic and calibrated response to Sunday’s terror attack in Uri in Jammu and Kashmir, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided that Pakistan be isolated diplomatically at every international forum. In fact, at a meeting that was also attended by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Modi urged that the Uri attack be raised at the United Nations General Assembly, which is in session in New York.
The army camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri district was attacked by four Pakistani terrorists in the wee hours of September 18, 2016. In what ensued to be a three-hour-long gun-battle at 12th Brigade at Uri, 17 soldiers lost their lives while the four terrorists were also killed. The terrorists allegedly belonged to Jaish-e-Mohammed. Another soldier succumbed to his injuries and died later, raising the toll to 18. The bodies of the soldiers who lost their lives in the combat are being flown to their home town today. Further, on the afternoon of September 20, there were multiple ceasefire violations across the border when Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked firing using small arms towards Indian positions at the Uri camp.
Intelligence sources have confirmed the origin of these terrorists to be Pakistan after thorough investigation of their belongings. Apart from weapons and food with Pakistani markings seized from the terrorists, GPS trackers that they carried showed they had started from Pakistan. Although Pakistan has denied all links, the Director General of Military Operations (DGMO), Lt General Ranbir Singh is ready to hand over concrete evidence to his counterpart in Pakistan.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has sent a team to Uri so as to investigate the attack. The Army is also thoroughly probing how the terrorists breached a three-layered, counter-infiltration grid to cross the border and also how they managed to infiltrate the army base at Uri. It seems that the attack happened during a change of command at the base between two regiments – 6 Bihar and 10 Dogra.
The attack is being strongly condemned by the entire nation and elsewhere.