By the decision of lower court and the justice department, 24,000 additional refugees, who were granted an allowance to enter the US before October, were banned due to Supreme Court Justices grant on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. This was done on the basis of a request from the Trump administration block.
On March 6, 2017, US President Donald Trump had signed a revised order banning travelers and refugees from six Muslim majority countries, namely, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen, for 90 days and 120 days respectively. Trump claimed that the reason for this ban was to prevent terrorists. Though there had been no definite information regarding the permanence or the expansion of the limit of the ban.
As the Lower Courts argued that this ban goes against the constitution and feudal immigration law, the High Court agreed to look into the matter, but did not came up with anything constructive. After the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals, it has been decided that, people having authentic relationships with legal US residents or with entities in the US, will be exempted from the travel ban. But, nothing has been specified about the refugee allowance.
As reported by Reuters, senior director of campaigns, Naureen Shah of Amnesty International of USA said, “The Supreme Court today had dealt yet another devastating blow to vulnerable people who were on the cusp of obtaining safety for themselves and their families. They continue to be subjected to unimaginable violence and fear while their lives are in limbo.”
KHARTOUM: The clashes between two subgroups near the border with South Sudan have taken a heavy toll in the area. More than 100 people have lost their lives in several days of fighting between the two clans in Sudan’s oil-rich West Kordofan region; tribal leaders told Agence France Presse (AFP) on Thursday.
The clashes had started over a land dispute on Sunday between the two sub-groups of the powerful Misseriya tribe which is based in Al-Quwik , an area which shares border with South Sudan.
This fighting between the Zioud and the Awlad Amran groups has left 133 people dead, as told by the Mokhtar Babo Nimir, head of the Misseriya,
Both sides indulged in rampant usage of heavy machine guns in the clashes, which continued till Thursday, another tribal leader in the area said.
The leader, whose clan kept away from the clashes said, “Until this evening there are no government troops on the ground to separate the fighters and more than 100 have been killed from both sides,”
The Misseriya and its clans, which is one of the biggest Arab tribes in Kordofan, are mostly nomadic cattle herders. It was Sudan’s government which armed the Misseriya and other groups during the country’s long-lasted 22-year civil war that ended in 2005 and led to South Sudan’s separation.
This massive division of the country saw Juba attain most of the country’s oil production, with West Kordofan left with the main oil-producing region in Sudan.
Rebel forces opposing the South Sudan government have threatened to take up an armed struggle if ongoing negotiations fail to bring the crisis to a viable solution.
A dialogue was initiated by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) last week in Addis Ababa, after an agreement signed on January 23rd failed to provide any relief from the violence sparked off in December. Another point of contention is that the rebel forces have claimed military interference from Uganda in the South Sudan conflict.
To read more: http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/world/discord-in-south-sudan-opposition-camp/article5699552.ece