SC reserves order on the Cauvery dispute
The Supreme Court on Wednesday reserved its order on the Cauvery river water dispute involving Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry on the 2007 Cauvery River Water Disputes Tribunal. The apex court bench completed the hearing earlier today.
According to Hindustan Times, during the course of the hearing today, the court ordered that the Centre shall have to frame a scheme for the implementation of its orders on the river water-sharing between the states and Puducherry after the judgement is pronounced.
Reserving the order, the three member bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice Amitava Roy, and Justice AM Khanwilkar asked the parties involved to present written submissions on various aspects of the issue that had emerged during the course of hearing on the 29 days which spread over eight months.
In September last year, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry filed petitions seeking modification of Cauvery Tribunal’s final order, which was delivered in 2007. In its order, the court had allocated the highest share to Karnataka followed by Tamil Nadu, Kerala and the Union Territory of Puducherry.
The apex court had, on July 11 commenced the final hearing on the appeals filed by the three states and the Union Territory which saw the reserving by the court today.
Sources: ANI, Hindustan Times
On September 16, Shafeen Jahan, the husband of a woman in the Kerala Love Jihad case, approached the Supreme Court to stop the National Investigation Agency probe. According to Jahan, the agency is “not being fair”, and that the investigations were being carried out without the supervision of a retired judge, as stated earlier by the court.
In his petition to the apex court, Jahan also mentioned that his wife Hadiya, earlier known as Akhila, is under extreme physical and mental pressure by her family. According to the report in Hindustan Times, Jahan said ““She is confined to her room and not allowed to meet anyone. She was physically and mentally harassed by her relatives. Some of the Sangh Parivar outfits are also trying to threaten her.”
This case came to light in December last year, when Akhila Ashokan, a homeopathy doctor, converted to Islam and married Jahan. Her father, then moved to Kerala High Court alleging that his daughter was forcibly converted, after which their marriage was annulled in May this year. Moreover, in August 2017, the Supreme Court refused to stay the HC order and ordered NIA to probe into this marriage.
Sources: Business Standard, Hindustan Times
By the decision of lower court and the justice department, 24,000 additional refugees, who were granted an allowance to enter the US before October, were banned due to Supreme Court Justices grant on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. This was done on the basis of a request from the Trump administration block.
On March 6, 2017, US President Donald Trump had signed a revised order banning travelers and refugees from six Muslim majority countries, namely, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen, for 90 days and 120 days respectively. Trump claimed that the reason for this ban was to prevent terrorists. Though there had been no definite information regarding the permanence or the expansion of the limit of the ban.
As the Lower Courts argued that this ban goes against the constitution and feudal immigration law, the High Court agreed to look into the matter, but did not came up with anything constructive. After the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals, it has been decided that, people having authentic relationships with legal US residents or with entities in the US, will be exempted from the travel ban. But, nothing has been specified about the refugee allowance.
As reported by Reuters, senior director of campaigns, Naureen Shah of Amnesty International of USA said, “The Supreme Court today had dealt yet another devastating blow to vulnerable people who were on the cusp of obtaining safety for themselves and their families. They continue to be subjected to unimaginable violence and fear while their lives are in limbo.”
Sourced from Reuters and Al jazeera
The Supreme Court on Tuesday lifted the ban on the sale of fire crackers in Delhi and the NCR region for coming time but also passed a verdict that number of licensed sellers should not exceed 500. The License will be issued by Delhi Police to shopkeepers after fulfilling the desired criterion.
The apex Court also added that there will no fire crackers in the silence zones and has also demanded a detailed report on the same by the eight members constituted committee chaired by the chairperson of Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). The report will be of the health hazards of pollution caused by the fire crackers in the coming festive season.
The earlier order of Supreme court of banning firecrackers in Delhi and NCR region was challenged by The firecracker association and they were joined by the total of 100 fire cracker companies.
Supreme Court also ordered that fire crackers cannot be brought in Delhi-NCR from another states giving the argument of adverse effects of chemicals on humans and their effort to keep it minimum.
Last year, the air quality of Delhi became poisonous after Diwali Celebrations on October 30, 2016. Thick smog was formed all over and schools were closed for 3 days. An environmental emergency was imposed on Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and the apex court banned the sale of fire careackers in Delhi-NCR on November 25, 2016.
Sources: ANI, Scroll.in
On September 11, Supreme Court ordered real estate firm Jaypee Infratech, an arm of Jaiprakash Associates Limited to deposit 2000 crore, in relation to an insolvency case. Jaypee Infratech has defaulted on Rs. 526.11 crore of loans outstanding to IDBI Bank Ltd. It is one of the 12 large corporates that the Reserve Bank of India has pushed into the insolvency court under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
The apex court has also restricted the managing director and chief executive of Jaypee Infratech and Jaypee Associates from leaving the country and has asked the conglomerate to seek permission before selling any property. Additionally, SC has dismissed proceedings against the real estate company in other forums like Consumer Commission.
Furthermore, the court has asked the Interim Resolution Professional, a body set up by the National Company Law Tribunal, to take over the management of Jaypee Infratech. As per the report in Money Control, around 32,000 homebuyers, who have not yet been given their flats as promised by Jaypee, are facing uncertainty over their investment in housing projects due to the insolvency case.
The next hearing has been set for November 13.
Source: Money Control, Business Standard
Image Source: Hindustan Times
On September 11, Supreme Court ordered real estate firm Jaypee Associates to deposit 2000 crore, in relation to the insolvency case against Jaypee Infratech. The next hearing has been set for November 13.
Jaypee Infratech, which is a subordinate of Jaiprakash Associates Ltd. has defaulted on Rs. 526.11 crore of loans outstanding to IDBI Bank Ltd. It is one of the 12 large corporates that the Reserve Bank of India has pushed into the insolvency court under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
The Court has also restricted the managing director and chief executive of Jaypee Infratech and Jaypee Associates from leaving the country and has asked JP Associates to seek permission before selling any property. Additionally, SC has dismissed proceedings against the real estate company in other forums like Consumer Commission.
Furthermore, the court has asked the Interim Resolution Professional, a body set up by the National Company Law Tribunal, to take over the management of Jaypee Infratech.
As per the report in Money Control, around 32,000 homebuyers, who have not yet been given their flats as promised by Jaypee, are facing uncertainty over their investment in housing projects due to the insolvency case.
Sources: Business Standard and Money Control
Over 100 Indian Army personnel have moved to the Supreme Court, alleging discrepancies in the promotion of officers of the services corps. The issue has come to light just days after Nirmala Sitharaman took over as the nation’s new Defence Minister.
As per the report in Times of India, the officers stated in the petition, “This act of Army and Union Government has created tremendous injustice to them and others which are detrimental to the morale of the officers and, in turn, to the defence of the country.”
In a joint petition, the group of lieutenant colonels and majors affirmed that despite services corps officers being stationed in operational areas and facing issues similar to combat arms corps officers, they are being deprived of promotions, which are available to officers of combat arms. Expressing their disappointment over this discrimination, the petitioners said that this inequality is affecting the morale of officers who have dedicated their service to Indian army for 10-15 years.
In February 2016, the apex court of India settled an earlier petition, wherein services corps officers complained of in adequate allocation of Colonel posts for promotion. However, the officers have stated that this time they are challenging the partial treatment, without questioning the court’s 2016 judgement.
Sources: TOI, Zee News