Bomb Explosion in London Underground Train Confirmed as an Act of Terrorism

On Friday morning, a crudely made bomb exploded on a London Underground train at 8 20 am. The device explosion injured twenty nine commuters. The people were immediately rushed to hospitals for their burn injuries and have been discharged now. A police investigation has begun for the person who detonated the bomb, and evacuation of the station has been completed.

The blast occurred at Parsons Green on a District Line underground train from Wimbledon. Scotland Yard has determined that the incident was of terrorism. A huge number of detectives and MI5 have been deployed to hunt down the person who initiated the act. The bomb had been made in an improvised manner and placed inside a white bucket reportedly with a timer. The bomb was said to not have exploded in the intended manner, which otherwise would have killed all commuters around it and grievously injured all present on the train.
Britain Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the attack heavily and released a statement saying the UK’s terror threat levels would be reviewed again. Scarily, this is already the fifth incident of terrorism happening in the UK this year, and the only one in which all survived. Expert handlers will be looking at the remains of the device which is now in the hands of the police.
News Sources- The New York Times, BBC

1993 Mumbai blasts verdict: Death penalty and Life imprisonment

According to Indian Express, a Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (TADA), special court announced its final judgement on the 1993, Mumbai serial blasts on September 9, 2017. The court of Judge GA Sanap awarded death sentence to Feroz Khan and Tahir Merchant. The remaining convicts, Abu Salem and Karimullah Khan were pronounced with life imprisonment apart from being imposed with a fine of Rs 2 lakhs each. While Riaz Siddiqui was sentenced to ten years in jail. This announcement was made twenty-four years after the deadly attack that killed 257 people and injured over 700 on March 12, 1993, through the explosion of 12 bombs in various locations of the city, destroying properties worth around Rs 27 crore.

Investigation reports suggested that the attacks were planned by Dawood Ibrahim, India’s ‘most wanted’ criminal and his accomplice Tiger Memon to avenge the deaths of Muslims during the Hindu-Muslim riots that had ripped Mumbai in the past. During the court session on June 16, 2017, key conspirator Mustafa Dossa was found to be guilty. However, the case against him was closed as he expired on June 28, 2017, during his sentencing in the court. Prior to this verdict, Yakub Memon was hanged in July 2015 for his involvement in the same case, as reported by Times of India.

Sources: TOI, Indian Express

Three gunmen rock Jerusalem: 2 killed

In the wake of the Friday morning, two Israeli policemen have been killed and a third wounded in a shooting attack near a sacred site in Jerusalem. They were shot by three Israeli Arabs near the compound known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as Haram al-Sharif (Noble Sanctuary). Police say that the three assailants were aged between 19 and 29 and came from Umm-al-Fahm, a city in North Israel.

The assailants claimed to be of Palestine origin, opened fire at 7 am by the Lion’s Gate in the Temple Mount/Haram al-Sharif.

Israeli police spokesperson Micky Rosenfeld said that the three armed men, whom he identified as terrorists, mainly targeted the police units in the area. There was an attempt made to stab a police officer as well.

The three gunmen were confirmed shot dead and the area was immediately closed off. The injured were taken care of in the nearby hospitals.

According to BBC, The two policemen who died of their injuries were Advanced Staff Sergeant Major Kamil Shanan aged 22 and Advanced Staff Sergeant Major Hail Sattawi aged 30.

The police has sealed off the area in search for weapons. It is the first time that the compound which contains the Dome of the Rock and the al-Aqsa Mosque has been closed for Muslim Friday prayers, in decades.

No terrorist group has taken responsibility for the shootout as yet, but the assailants were praised for the attack as a “natural response to the Zionist ongoing crimes.”

News Source:  BBC, CNN

Image Source: Standard

 

China might put “technical hold” on UN ban of Jaish Chief Azhar for UN Ban

 Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang hinted  that China might once again block India’s entry for listing Jaish-e-Mohammed chief, Masood Azhar as a global terrorist in the upcoming United Nations’ review meeting of 1267 Committee, according to a report by The Hindustan Times.
Chuang made the statement after the conclusion of 2 day long meeting of BRICS Foreign Ministers in Beijing, wherein he said, “At present, some members have disagreement over the listing matter. And China stands ready to remain in coordination and communication with the relevant parties on this issue,” according to The Hindustan Times.
At the BRICS meeting, which was attended by Foreign Minister of State V.K. Singh from the Indian side, rising global terrorism and the means to tackle it remained the focus of discussion.
Beijing, in the past, has defended its move to block the entry of the chief as a global terrorist, saying that the “conditions” have not been met to reach a decision.
China has blocked the ban of Masood Azhar three times in the past, the latest application being moved by India in December last year. The proposal has been supported by many countries including United States, United Kingdom and France.
Sources: Hindustan Times, The Statesman
 

Jordan hangs 15 Prisoners

Jordan hanged 15 prisoners at day break Saturday, including 10 who were convicted of terrorism and this is one of the biggest executions since the nation reestablished capital punishment two years back, said officials.

The other five detainees were discovered blameworthy of real criminal offenses, including rape and sexual assault. Information Minister Muhammad Momani told the that the executed included those who were convicted in charge of partitioned assaults and bombings and the attacks on the Jordanian embassy in Baghdad in 2003, on tourists at the Roman amphitheatre in Amman in 2006, on intelligence officers in the Baqaa refugee camp in 2016, and also the killing of writer Nahid Hattar, also last year.

Samah Hadid, agent chief at Amnesty International’s Beirut territorial office, stated, “The horrendous scale and mystery around these executions is stunning.”

“There is no confirmation that capital punishment addresses rough wrongdoing, including fear based oppression related offenses.”

The men were hanged at a restorative focus south of Amman. Jordan had beforehand forced a nine-year ban on capital punishment. It was lifted in January 2015.

The legislature says it has a zero resistance approach with regards to psychological oppression or even saw sensitivity for fear based oppressor bunches – notwithstanding voicing support for such gatherings is an offense culpable with prison time.

News Source: ANI, CNN

Image Source: Getty images

Australian man apprehended after developing missiles for ISIS

An Australian-born citizen was arrested by the Australian counter-terrorism police on Tuesday after a raid carried out on a countryside property in Young, New South Wales, located 170 miles from Sydney. The man, Haisem Zahab, was accused of attempting to aid ISIS by developing missile technology for the militant group. Several police officers raided the property with metal detectors and a dog squad after sufficient evidence was collected against Zahab in an 18-month long investigation.

The Australian Federal Police released issued a statement asserting that Haisem Zahab had been extensively researching and designing a laser warning system meant to detect incoming missiles. Zahab had also been attempting to design long-range guided missiles for ISIS. Zahab, who is an electrician by trade, is expected to appear before the court on Wednesday. Zahab is charged with two foreign incursion offenses, and with failing to comply with an order to assist in the acquisition of data.

Australia has been on alert for local terrorists since a café siege in 2014, and has sent troops to fight in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Australian security forces have thwarted several terrorist plots in recent years, many of which involved radicalized teenagers. The most recent of such events was when Australian authorities apprehended a group of six people that attempted to detonate IEDs in several areas across the city of Melbourne.

Sources: NDTVThe Independent

Image Source: Craig Thomson

3 suspects arrested in France for plotting terror attack

On Tuesday, 3 people were arrested in France on suspicion of planning a terror attack. The arrests carried out in areas of Paris, Marseille and the central city of Clermont-Ferrand were a part of the “preliminary investigations started in January on suspicions of the people leaving for Syria or committing a dangerous act in France.”

A police source said that the plot was sufficiently advanced and therefore the General Directorate for Internal Security and the French Intelligence Agency decided to intervene.

France has been on high alert following a series of deadly attacks undertaken by alleged Islamic State militants in the recent years. According to BBC reports, 230 people have been killed in Jihadist attacks in France since the start of 2015.

This is the third crackdown in the month of February. On February 3, a machete-wielding Egyptian was shot and critically injured after he tried to enter Louvre museum in Paris. On February 10th, four suspects were arrested in Montpellier after they were caught with bomb-making materials in the police raid. The attack which was prevented was termed as an “imminent” attack on French soil by Interior Minister Bruno Le Roux.

Sources: 1] BBC

2] Straits Times