As many as 122 countries has adopted a global treaty on nuclear ban at the United Nations on Friday. Only NATO member- the Netherlands voted against it while Singapore abstained from the process of voting.
Opposition rose from Britain, France and the United States that said such a decision is not a correct way to deal with reality especially when there are perpetual threats coming from North Korea.
The United States, Russia, Britain, China, France, India, Pakistan, North Korea and Israel neither did take part in the negotiations nor did they vote.
Not even did Japan take part in the negotiations even after being victimised with atomic attacks several times.
The UN ambassadors from United States, Britain and France clearly said they do not have an intention to join the treaty.
“This treaty offers no solution to the grave threat posed by North Korea’s nuclear program, nor does it address other security challenges that make nuclear deterrence necessary,” they said in a joint statement.
The three countries instead want to strengthen the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty which seeks nuclear arms to remain stationed in US, Russia, Britain, France and China countries.
Source: TOI, AFP
Image Source: AP
13 people were killed in twin bombings on Tuesday outside the UN Mine Action Service Office and a Somali army checkpoint in Mogadishu, as confirmed by the Somali Police officials to Global news. These 13 people included seven UN guards.
Al-Shabaab, the Islamist militant group claimed responsibility for the attack. This group had also claimed the responsibility of the attack that killed 10 soldiers earlier this month. Al- Shabaab stated that it was a suicide attack by its terrorists.
“The two explosions were carried out by two brave Mujahedeen suicide bombers and they have targeted two different locations where the so-called AMISOM peacekeepers are stationed,” referring to the African Union mission to Somalia.
Police Capt. Mohamed Hussein said that the first attacker detonated a car bomb while the second attacker tried to storm the base but was shot and exploded at the gate.
Al-Shabaab is fighting to oust Somalia’s Western-backed government as they aim to establish an Islamic emirate in Somalia, ruled by strict form of Islam. It also opposes the presence of the foreign troops in Somalia and thus has launched attacks in the country.
Although this Islamist group was expelled from the capital in 2011, it continues to engage in a deadly guerrilla campaign including the suicide bombings.
North Korea’s Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho declared on Tuesday that they will conduct nuclear deals depending on the attitude of the United States and according to him, Washington was responsible for thwarting efforts of de-nuclearization on the Korean peninsula.
Ri ensured N. Korea as a responsible state and would not use its nuclear power unless threatened while speaking to reporters in an Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) meeting in Laos.
His remarks followed hours after US Secretary of State John Kerry, attending the same meeting in Vientiane, warned N. Korea of dire repercussions if Pyongyang tries to carry out missile tests.
The failure of the stalled six-party talks regarding the N. Korea’s nuclear power deal was blamed upon USA by the newly appointed Ri, who made his overseas debut as the country’s topmost plenipotentiary. “The key factor damaging the situation is the United States’ hostile policies… and the problem is getting worse” Reuters quoted Ri Yong-ho as saying, citing strict impositions by the UN Security Council since N. Korea conducted their fourth nuclear test in the month of January.
But the North continues its ballistic missile tests in spite of the UN sanctions and has made it conspicuous that it will continue to do so without any remorse.
Unrest in Turkey continues as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, promulgated a state of general emergency in the country as a reaction to the repeated coup attempts by the army. The announcement was made after meetings and discussions among top security and cabinet personals in Ankara.
Article 121 decrees that a maximum period of six months can be upheld for emergency, in this case a three-month corridor has been implemented. Thousands have been put behind bars, more than 600 schools have been shut down, including random firing of government workers.
During the period of emergency, parliament remains paralyzed, and any law can be enacted as the President thinks fit. The President has assured that daily life will continue with its normal state of affairs, and this proclamation of emergency only aims to oust the “virus” within the army. Differences within the army itself is being considered as a primary reason for failure of the coup.
Erdogan claims this as “swift and effective” measure, to smother the Gulen movement, which is reportedly being nominated as the primary reason behind the uprising. The government is keeping a close eye on bureaucrats, prosecutors and even academicians who have even the minutest of link to the Gulenist movement. The work travel ban on academicians can be regarded as a direct consequence, which although is a temporary measure, confirmed by a senior Turkish official.
Around 1577 deans of universities submitted their resignation, before 20,000 teachers and administrators were suspended from duty; which has prompted UN high commissioner for human rights Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein, express “serious alarm”.
North Korea confirmed on Wednesday that the three ballistic missiles it tested a day earlier were mock nuclear-missile attacks carried out as part of a simulated pre-emptive attack on ports and airfields in South Korea, reported WSJ.
Test-firing of the missiles was in gross violation of the resolutions as North Korea is prohibited from developing ballistic missile technology as per UN resolutions. The test firing could be seen as a resentful reaction to the deployment of US missile defence system in South Korea under which around 30,000 American troops were posted in South Korea.
The three missiles were launched from Hwangju. One flew 500 kilometers (311 miles) and the other 600 kilometers (373 miles) before it crashed into the sea off the country’s East coast, as per a South Korean military statement, which said that the third missile’s trajectory was still being examined.
Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), which is North Korea’s official news agency, reported that the exercise was supervised by Kim Jong Un himself.
“The drill was conducted by limiting the firing range under the simulated conditions of making preemptive strikes at ports and airfields in the operational theatre in South Korea where the US imperialists nuclear war hardware is to be hurled,” stated KCNA.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said that the test was ‘deeply troubling’ and undermined efforts to reduce tension on the Korean peninsula, as reported in The Tehelka.