By the decision of lower court and the justice department, 24,000 additional refugees, who were granted an allowance to enter the US before October, were banned due to Supreme Court Justices grant on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. This was done on the basis of a request from the Trump administration block.
On March 6, 2017, US President Donald Trump had signed a revised order banning travelers and refugees from six Muslim majority countries, namely, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen, for 90 days and 120 days respectively. Trump claimed that the reason for this ban was to prevent terrorists. Though there had been no definite information regarding the permanence or the expansion of the limit of the ban.
As the Lower Courts argued that this ban goes against the constitution and feudal immigration law, the High Court agreed to look into the matter, but did not came up with anything constructive. After the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals, it has been decided that, people having authentic relationships with legal US residents or with entities in the US, will be exempted from the travel ban. But, nothing has been specified about the refugee allowance.
As reported by Reuters, senior director of campaigns, Naureen Shah of Amnesty International of USA said, “The Supreme Court today had dealt yet another devastating blow to vulnerable people who were on the cusp of obtaining safety for themselves and their families. They continue to be subjected to unimaginable violence and fear while their lives are in limbo.”
On Friday, August 25, a United States Black Hawk helicopter crashed off the coast of Yemen during a training mission. The US military has said that the search for one US service member is underway.
In a statement released by the US Central Command it was revealed that five other service members who were on the aircraft have been rescued after the crash that took place around 4 pm, reported NDTV.
Colonel John Thomas, CENTCOM spokesman said, “When the incident took place the helicopter was not very high above the water.”
Further, in an interview with Reuters, A US official said that the cause of the crash is under investigation. This is not the first incident; there have been a number of aviation mishaps involving US military aircraft in the past few months. A Black Hawk US Army helicopter crashed on a Maryland golf course in April and last month in July, a military transport plane crash killed 16 service members.
The US military has been carrying out precision air strikes against al Qaeda insurgents in Yemen, which is currently embroiled in a deadly civil war, launching at least 80 since the end of February.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Monday assured safe return of Kerala priest Tom Unzhunnalil to India. The Kerala-based Catholic priest who is fondly known as Father Tommy George was abducted by the Islamic State in Yemen earlier this year. She promised that the government will spare no action to release him from the clutches of the deadly terror group and bring him back safely.
A video surfaced on several social media platform on Monday that featured the abducted priest appealing to Pope Francis and Central Government to help him get free. He also alleged that he is bogged down by inactivity on government’s part. He also alleged that not much attention is being paid to his case because he is Indian and of less value than his European counterparts. However, the veracity of the video is not yet ascertained.
“I have seen the video from Father Tom. He is an Indian citizen and the life of every Indian is most precious for us,” Swaraj tweeted. “We got Father Alex Prem Kumar and Judith D’Souza released from Afghanistan. The government will spare no effort to ensure his safe return from the captivity”, she added.
The center, on the other hand, has informed that the government is putting in a lot of efforts. According to MEA spokesperson Vikas Swaroop, they are in constant touch with Yemeni local authorities. Also, the current disharmonious environment in Yemen is only making the matters worse.
Unzhunnalil was abducted on March 4 this year during a raid in a nursing home in Yemen. Around 16 people were killed in this incident.
IMAGE SOURCE: Screenshot from the video
Image Source: Yemen Flag Facts
Saudi led allied forces have seized a Yemeni Red Sea archipelago controlled and used by Iran-allied forces. These islands were used to smuggle and store weapons into Yemen.
This coalition has been trying to capture this archipelago since September 2014. Houthis controls most of the former northern Yemen from Tiaz in the south to Saada in the north which gives then clear access to the coast. The main objective behind seizing these islands was to dislodge the Houthis and forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh. Another reason being, to restore Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to power.
Fishermen informed Reuters by that the islands had been exposed to weeks of heavy bombing by Arab forces before being seized.
The archipelago was the subject of territorial dispute between Yemen and Eritrea, which captured the archipelago in the 1990s, until a London-based international arbitration court granted Yemen sovereignty in 1998.