SC reserves order on the Cauvery dispute

SC reserves order on the Cauvery dispute

The Supreme Court on Wednesday reserved its order on the Cauvery river water dispute involving Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry on the 2007 Cauvery River Water Disputes Tribunal.   The apex court bench completed the hearing earlier today.

According to Hindustan Times, during the course of the hearing today, the court ordered that the Centre shall have to frame a scheme for the implementation of its orders on the river water-sharing between the states and Puducherry after the judgement is pronounced.

Reserving the order, the three member bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice Amitava Roy, and Justice AM Khanwilkar asked the parties involved to present written submissions on various aspects of the issue that had emerged during the course of hearing on the 29 days which spread over eight months.

In September last year, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry filed petitions seeking modification of Cauvery Tribunal’s final order, which was delivered in 2007. In its order, the court had allocated the highest share to Karnataka followed by Tamil Nadu, Kerala and the Union Territory of Puducherry.

The apex court had, on July 11 commenced the final hearing on the appeals filed by the three states and the Union Territory which saw the reserving by the court today.

Sources: ANI, Hindustan Times

DR Congo forces kill at least 36 Burundi refugees

At least 36 Burundian refugees were killed and 117 wounded in clashes with Congolese security forces who allegedly fired indiscriminately at protesters on September 15 in Congo’s South Kivu province.

The clashes erupted in Kamanyola in Congo’s South Kivu province when Citing “credible reports” received by the peacekeeping mission, Maman Sidikou the U.N. envoy to Congo said that the Burundian refugees and asylum-seekers protested the expulsion of four of their countrymen from Congo.He added that he death of the Congolese army officer led to “the escalation of violence.”

The U.N. envoy called for a swift investigation and urged Congo’s security forces to use force as a last resort.

Congo’s government says it is opening an investigation to establish the facts and true identity of the “supposed refugees,” spokesman Lambert Mende said.

Roughly 44,000 refugees from Burundi are sheltering in Congo. Many fled political violence at home in 2015, when President Pierre Nkurunziza successfully pursued a disputed third term amid deadly protests.

The Congolese government, the U.N refugee agency and the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo “have deployed teams on site to shed light on everything that happened,” said the coordinator of the U.N. Communications Group in Congo, Florence Marchal.

Sources: Al Jazeera, ABC News, The Independent Uganda

Exiled Tibetans protest outside UN HQ in Geneva

Exiled Tibetans protested in front of the iconic “Broken Chair” in Geneva ahead of the 36th United Nations Human Rights Council Session against the atrocities being committed by the Chinese Government and demanded independence for Tibet.

Holding placards ‘Who is responsible for self-immolation -The Chinese government’ and raising slogans “we want justice”, exiled Tibetans protesters called for a “Free Tibet”.

ANI quoted Dawa Norbu, representative of Tibetan community of Switzerland, saying, “We are here to protest ahead of the 36th United Nations Human Rights Council Session meeting as we want to make them (UN members) aware of the prevailing human rights situation in Tibet. We want our voices to be heard and the reason is why UN is not acting against the Chinese government. We want to make them aware that what wrong Chinese Government has done in past few years.”, “Chinese have demolished Larung Gar Tibetan Buddhist Institute, one of the largest centres of Buddhist learning in Tibet. Now, they are trying to control the entire Buddhist institutes in Tibet,” he added.

Voicing concern over the increasing Chinese oriented development activities, others present at the protest voiced that they were concerned about indigenous Tibetans who live in the absence of freedom of speech, freedom to practice their religion, about arbitrary arrests that are made and the Human rights violation of those arrested who have no access to the lawyers, languishing in jails and deprived of justice.

Tibetans raised issues ranging from the gross violations of human rights in Tibet, the resurgence of immolation protests in Tibet to the 1949 China’s illegal occupation of Tibet.

Sources:ANI, Reuters

 

 

 

 

3% decrease in India’s external debt in FY17

India’s external debt came down by $13.1 billion to $471.9 billion at the end of March this year on annual basis. This 2.7 percentage decrease in debt has been mainly due to decrease in NRI deposits and commercial borrowings.

The debt has remained within manageable limits and the situation has improved in 2016-17 over 2015-16, said ‘India’s External Debt: A Status Report 2016-17’ by the Department of Economic Affairs. The external debt-GDP ratio fell to 20.2 per cent at the end of March 2017 from 23.5 per cent at March 2016. At end-March 2017, long-term external debt was $383.9 billion, showing a decrease of 4.4 per cent year-on-year.

Long-term external debt accounted for 81.4 per cent of total external debt at end-March 2017. “Short-term external debt increased by 5.5 per cent to $88 billion at end-March 2017. This is mainly due to the increase in trade related credits, a major component of short-term debt with a share of 98.3 per cent,” the report said.

A cross country comparison based on ‘International Debt Statistics 2017’ of the World Bank, which presents the debt data for 2015, shows that India continues to be among the less vulnerable countries with its external debt indicators comparing well with other indebted developing countries. The ratio of India’s external debt stock to Gross National Income (GNI) was the fifth lowest and in terms of the cover provided by foreign exchange reserves to external debt, the position was sixth highest in 2015.

Sources: The Financial Express, ANI

Vizag to host 4th Indian Open World snooker tournament

In a first, Vizag will be hosting the fourth Indian Open World ranking snooker tournament at Novotel hotel in the city from September 12 to 16.

Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu will inaugurate the event on September 11. Four-time world champion and Scottish great John Higgins will be the star attraction along with Stuart Bingham, Anthony Hamilton, Graeme Dott, Shaun Murphy, Ricky Walden, Mark Allen, Stephen Maguire, Luca Brecel and David Gilbert, the other big names in the field who will be participating in the tournament.

Indian snooker player Pankaj Advani has pulled out of the tournament citing personal reasons, the president of the Billiards and Snooker Federation of India Capt. P.V.K. Mohan told the Hindu.

On the Indian side Lucky Vatnani (Hyderabad), Pandurangaiah (Nellore), Asutosh Pady (Odisha), Malkeet Singh (Delhi), Laxman Rawat (Delhi) and Srikrishna (Chennai) are six Indian wild card entries.

The tournament offers a total prize money of £3,00,000, and the winner will take home £50,000.

District Collector Pravin Kumar told the Hindu that Vizag has emerged the sports capital of Andhra Pradesh as the city has been hosting international sporting events. To encourage sports enthusiasts to attend the five-day snooker event in larger numbers, entry to this tournament is free, he added.

Sources: The Hindu

BRICS brings relief to Indo-Sino crisis

Asian geopolitics has been at the forefront in recent times with China and India being the major players in the space of negotiations. The two countries were a highlight of the recently held 9th BRICS Summit at Chinese coastal city of Xiamen between September 3 and 5.

The talks at Xiamen looked difficult due to the hostility that Beijing and New Delhi had shown in the backdrop of the Doklam standoff. However, August 26 marked a landmark date for the Asian giants as it put an official end to the two and a half months long standoff in Bhutan between the two countries. 70 days of the Indo-China crisis ended a week before the BRICS summit when the Asian powers decided to join hands in diplomatic talks to end the crisis. Negotiations yielded results when India withdrew its troops from the Doklam region of Bhutan and China and ceased its road building activities in the border.

Given the importance of the BRICS’ card for China, it was not surprising that Beijing pulled back its activities ahead of the summit. China has always been an active member of BRICS. Shanghai’s primary role in the New Development Bank could be one of the major reasons for explaining the steps taken by Beijing for participating in international dialogue. Additionally, overt international support for India from the USA, UK and Japan meant a common message for Beijing.

As far as the Indian narrative is concerned, she withdrew her forces after the Chinese side stopped the construction at the valley in Bhutan. However, if the activities resume, India has option to do the same. New Delhi took the decision after Beijing initiated negotiations to settle the dispute.  International support for India also paved the way for talks and negotiations and a stronghold in the global arena.

In the backdrop of the political crisis, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese premier Xi Jinping have agreed to bring in the spirit of the “Astana consensus” to which they had agreed upon earlier in June this year at the Kazakhstan capital. Upholding similar spirits at Xiamen, both countries have agreed to work towards consensus building in agreeing to prevent differences from turning into disputes.

 

Sources: Indian Express, Livemint

 

3 killed and 16 injured after school building collapses

Three 10-year-old students were killed and 15 other students and a teacher were injured when the roof and walls of a classroom caved in on them at a zilla parishad (ZP) school at Nimbodi village, around 6km from Ahmednagar city, on Monday evening. Two of the injured children are critical.

The deceased have been identified as Shreyas Rahane, Sumeet Bhingardive and Vaishali Pote, all residents of Nimbodi.

It has been raining heavily in Ahmednagar and its adjoining areas for the last two days.The school building, which was constructed about 20 years ago, was damp due to the rains.

Following the incident, state education minister Vinod Tawde called for a structural audit of all school buildings in the state.

Sub-inspector Sanjay Kawade of the Bhingar police station told TOI that the single storey building collapsed around 5pm, just 10 minutes before the final school bell could ring. “The students and the teacher, Leena Patil, were trapped under the debris. Villagers, the police and Army personnel rushed to the spot to pull out the dead and injured. Earthmovers were pressed into service in the evening to clear the debris.Rescue operations were going on till late at night,” he added.

An official from the education department of the Ahmednagar ZP said on condition of anonymity said that the financial grant for the school building was announced in 1978 and the construction was completed in1998-99. “The building had brick walls and an RCC roof. No structural audit of the building has been conducted in the last 20 years,”.

TOI quoted Deputy director of education Dinkar Temkar saying “Education officers will send a complete report about the collapse to the CEO of the Ahmednagar ZP on Tuesday .”

Source: The Times of India