At least 21 people have been killed, with dozens other injured when a ground plus six-storey building in Mumbai’s Bhendi Bazar area collapsed at around 8:30 a.m. on Thursday morning.
CM Devendra Fadnavis reached the spot, at 5 in the evening and took stock of the situation. He announced exgratia of Rs five lakh, to the kin of the deceased in the building collapse.
According to DNA, the building was 117 years old and around 12 families residing in it, with the ground floor occupied by six go-downs. 29 people have been rescued by teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the Fire Brigade, which categorized the collapse as a level III emergency.
Rescue operation became difficult, as the debris caught fire when the gas cylinders exploded in the sweetmeat factory. The fire added to the suffocation of the victims, those were still trapped.
Residents of adjacent sky-scrappers have been evacuated as a safety measure. Subhash Desai, guardian minister of Mumbai assured angry local residents that an elaborative inquiry will be held behind the reason for building collapse.
In July, 17 people were killed when a four-storey building collapsed at the Siddhi-Sai Cooperative Housing Society.
As a seven storey building collapsed at late night yesterday in Nakaramguda, Hyderabad; five people have already been declared dead and many more remain stranded inside the debris of the massive under- construction building.
According to Business Standard, three bodies have recovered and two have been sent to hospitals. Cyberabad Police Commissioner told to the press earlier in the day that Rekha (35) and her four year old son have been pulled out from the site alive. Except from one family all the victims of the tragic incident are workers who lived in the cellar of that building.
Rescue operations are underway since morning with National Disaster Response Force ( NDRF)along with workers from local administration working hand in hand and it could move well into the night; Mayor Bonthu Ram Mohan, Mayor of Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation told the PTI.
14 people were reported to be trapped inside the building and any more survivors are very unlikely said the rescue officials to NDTV.
“The building was poorly constructed and flouted norms in the materials used, hence the collapse,” said the Mayor.
Telengana state authority is promised to take strong actions against the building owner over alleged violation of construction rules and the officials who were involved in the sanction of the plans.
Chennai, India: Tragedy struck in Chennai on Saturday, when a portion of a 12 storey building collapsed near Porur due to heavy rainfall. At least 6 were killed and 70 workers are assumed to be trapped under debris of the building.One of the deceased was identified as Maruthu Pandian of Madurai and her body was sent to the Government Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital for autopsy.
The rescue operations were hampered by the heavy rains as well. The Kancheepuram district administration authorities and members of some private organizations also came to help in the rescue campaign. Police and fire personnel rescued 18 workers and sent them to Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Hospital.
The national disaster rescue force (NDRF) from Arakonam sent a company to the accident spot. The rescue operation has been assisted by 200 police personnel and 150 fire and rescue service personnel along with at least 12 fire engines and 12 ambulances.
Madurai-based construction company Prime Sristi has been handling the construction work for the building. According to the builder, lightning was responsible for the collapse of the building.
New Delhi: 7 killed and 3 seriously injured, as a three-storey building in Tulsi Nagar area of Inder Lok crumbled down, around 9 am. While rescue operations are still at work and have reportedly pulled out 9 people from the debris, while many believed to be still trapped.
Three fire brigades and ambulance have reached the spot. The injured were rushed to Hindu Bara Rao hospital. According to the Deputy Commissioner of Police, the construction proceedings in the neighbouring plot could possibly be a cause of the collapse of the building . “The building was 50 years old and a number of families lived there”, he said.
Mayor of North Delhi Yogendra Chandolia confirmed the reports and asserted enquiry is underway against the three accused officials. Owing to the swarming nature of the locality, rise in people caught in debris is likely.
Read more from: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140628/nation-current-affairs/article/three-storey-building-collapsed-dehi