ICC clears Kraigg Brathwaite’s bowling action

The International Cricket Council (ICC) cleared the knocking down some pins activity of West Indies offspinner Kraigg Brathwaite, who had been accounted for a month ago. An autonomous appraisal of Brathwaite’s knocking down some pins activity was performed at the Loughborough testing focus in England on August 31.”… the rocking the bowling alley activity of Windies off-spinner Kraigg Brathwaite has been observed to be lawful, and the player can keep knocking down some pins in universal cricket,” the ICC said in an announcement. The ICC said that the measure of elbow expansion in Brathwaite’s conveyances was well inside the 15-degree level of resistance allowed under the world body’s controls.
Brathwaite was accounted for amid the main Test against England at Edgbaston a month ago. The 24-year-old has played 40 Tests, getting 12 wickets up until now. His 10 ODI appearances have gotten him only a lone scalp up until this point. In their answer to the ICC following the match, coordinate authorities raised worries over the legitimateness of Brathwaite’s activity after he sent down six wicketless overs for six keeps running in his side’s thrashing in Birmingham, as said on cricket.com.au.
Brathwaite dumbfounded only one amid the Headingley Test and was instantly made a request to experience testing at Loughborough University following the Windies’ win. As indicated by ICC, the greater part of Brathwaite’s conveyances were “well inside” the 15-degree allowed level of resistance.

Boycott ICC, says Miandad

Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad has approached the PCB to playing blacklist matches against India in ICC occasions.

The thrice time coach of Pakistani team said it was futile asking India to play bilateral cricket. Therefore Pakistan should also boycott playing ICC events with India.

Times of India quoted him saying. “I think when we don’t play India in ICC events and the ICC suffers financial losses and their events lose significance and colour, only then we will be treated with respect and we will be heard on an equal level at any forum “.

According to Miandad, injustice is being done with them despite India and Pakistan being equal members of the ICC executive board. If ICC board cannot change India’s decision, then Pakistan too would be stubborn to participate in ICC.

The former captain felt that Pakistan Cricket Board will just waste money on compensation claims instead of directing that money for infrastructure.

Miandad said the Indians have exploited them as they went to India in 2012 to play limited over series as they earned millions and Pakistan Cricket got nothing. But now the country’s respect and pride should be given priority.

Sources: Times of India, The Hindu

 

BCCI awards Rs.50 Lakhs to Women cricketers

The Board of Control for Cricket in India(BCCI) declared a money prize of Rs 50 lakh for every women cricketer for their performance in the ICC World Cup in England. The support staff of the group will get Rs 25 lakh each. India defeated six-time champions Australia to get into the World Cup and will play England in the last at Lord’s tomorrow.
Vinod Rai, director of Committee Of Administrators (CoA)  said,”I would like to congratulate the Indian Women’s Cricket Team for their exemplary show in the ICC Women’s World Cup”. BCCI acting president CK Khanna also acknowledged the performance of the women in Blue. He appreciated the captaincy of  Captain Mithali Raj and Jhulan Goswami. Acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary wished them for the finals.
All-rounder Harmanpreet Kaur smashed 20 fours and seven sixes in her unbeaten knock of 171 runs as India posted a daunting score of 281/4 in 42 overs.
India will now aim to clinch their maiden Women’s World Cup title when they take on hosts England at The Lord’s on Sunday.
Image Source: PTI

Apex court agrees to drop charges of contempt of court against Anurag Thakur

The Supreme Court asked Anurag Thakur, former president of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), to issue an ‘unequivocal’ and ‘categorical’ apology in a contempt of court case issued against him.

A bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, A.M. Khanwilkar and D.Y. Chandrachud, was clear on its stance that it was not going to accept the earlier affidavit of apology and instead pressed him to file a new one-page short affidavit furnishing unconditional apology by July 12.

“We are not happy with the affidavit of apology; it has to be categorical,” Justice Deepak Misra told Hindustan Times. The bench agreed to accept his apology and the end the proceedings of the case.

Appearing for Thakur, senior advocate P.S Patwalia told the bench though his client was ready to tender an apology, he certainly has a case on merit through which his innocence can be proved.

Thakur has been asked to appear before the court in person and the SC has set the date for July 14. The SC started the contempt case against him on January 2 this year after Thakur got into trouble for filing a false affidavit in the court stating he had not sought any letter from the International Cricket Council (ICC) on the issue of autonomy.

Anurag Thakur was removed as the President of BCCI along with secretary Ajay Shirke for not following the SC’s mandate to implement the Lodha committee reforms.

Sources: The Hindu

Image source: AFP

World T20: Pak govt allows team to play matches in India

Putting an end to all the speculations, the Pakistan government on Thursday allowed its cricket team to play matches in India as part of the World T20 championship.

In a press release, Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Shaharyar Khan said that the government has given its consent to play matches in India. They have also asked the International Cricket Council to provide special security arrangements for the team, while they are in India.

Citing “real threats” to Pakistani players in India, the PCB had earlier said that they would tour India only after they get a clearance nod from the government. The ICC, however, had threatened them of legal action, in case they withdrew from the tournament.

The Pakistani side will play a qualifier on March 16, before playing against India on March 19 at Dharamsala. The PCB Chief has also requested to accommodate hundreds of Pakistani fans who would be travelling to India to watch the matches.

Addressing PCB’s worries regarding the security of its players, BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) Secretary Anurag Thakur had earlier said that the security would be foolproof for all the participating teams, including Pakistan and that no side should feel insecure about travelling to India.

Placed in Group 2, Pakistan will be playing matches in Kolkata, Dharamsala and Chandigarh during their tour in India.

SOURCES: IBNLiveThe Hindu

DDCA Asks for Changes to Justice Mudgal’s List Ahead of World Twenty20

Justice Mukul Mudgals’ 12-member organizing committee for the ICC World T20 matches scheduled at Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi failed to mention C.K. Khanna, VP, Delhi District Cricket Association(DDCA) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), in their list. This prompted a response from the DDCA’s working president who is also handling the event, Chetan Chauhan, who was quick to write a letter to Justice Mudgal with his recommendations.

 Khanna’s exclusion from the list surprised many, with several DDCA officials being dissatisfied with Mudgal’s list. Chauhan admitted to writing to Mudgal with his opinions, but said that he would not impose any of his views; the final decision shall rest with Justice Mudgal.

Khanna himself downplayed the snub by stating that it’s a small issue being blown out of proportion. He said “I will be overseeing all the departments and their workings, so it does not matter if I’m included in a committee or not.”

 A five-member panel will be overseeing the work done by the organizing committee. The members on the panel include Justice Mugal, former cricketer Sunil Valson, Amrit Mathur representing the board, DDCA official Suresh Chopra, and M.V Sridhar who is the tournament director for the ICC World T20.

 

Sources: The Indian Express, Zee News

Steven Smith bags top honours at ICC awards

Australian skipper Steven Smith bagged two top honours, the Cricketer of the Year as well as the Test Cricketer of the Year at the International Cricket Council (ICC) awards for 2014-15 on Wednesday.

Smith became the fourth Australian to clinch the Sir Garfield Sobers trophy, the award given to the cricketer of the year after Ricky Ponting (2006 and 2007), Mitchell Johnson (2009 and 2014) and Michael Clarke(2013).

The 26- year- old Australian said that he was taken by surprise after the announcement. “You don’t think about these awards and accolades, you just want to go out there and do the best for your team. To get recognised as the best player of the year above unbelievable talent from all around the world, it is indeed an honour,” he said in an interview to ICC.

“I will look back on 2015 with mixed feelings. Winning the ICC Cricket World Cup at home was a career highlight, and being appointed captain is a great honour, but the disappointment of losing the Ashes remains.” he added. Smith was also named in the ICC Test and ODI Teams of the Year earlier this year.

South Africa’s star batsman AB de Villiers was named ODI Cricketer of the Year for the second successive year, and his teammate Faf du Plessis got the T20 Performance of the Year award. Australia. Another Australian who made it to the list is pacer Josh Hazlewood, who bagged the ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year award.

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/954525.html

 

Steven Smith has bagged two glorious honours at ICC awards. Image courtesy: Getty Images
Steven Smith has bagged two glorious honours at ICC awards.
Image courtesy: Getty Images