Sewage worker dies after inhaling poisonous gas

In an unfortunate incident on Wednesday, Bharat Dhaokar, a 43-year-old sewage worker died after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a drainage chamber in the Kalewadi area of Pimpri-Chinchwad. The incident poses questions on the attitude of the civic authorities towards their staff.

Seema Savale, the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) Standing committee chairperson ensured that the contractor will have to pay Rs5 lakh as assistance to the family of the deceased.

Another worker employed with Dhaokar was rushed to the hospital, and is now out of danger. The PCMC administration has appointed a two-member committee of Joint Commissioner Dilip Gawde and Joint City Engineer Ravindra Dudhekar to probe the incident and take corrective measure to avoid recurrence.

According to Shravan Hardikar, the Municipal Commissioner, both the workers were trying to drain out the water from the drainage chamber using a jet suction machine. To place the machine, as soon as the workers opened the chamber, they suffered from suffocation and had to be hospitalised.

But, as per an eye-witness account, both the workers were lowered into the 10-feet deep chamber and after clearing it, they felt “uneasy and fell unconscious”.

Savale has promised the committee will take swift action and make those responsible pay.

Source – The Indian Express

Image Source – Rajesh Stephan