A major design flaw has been discovered in the Intel processors. It is found that the bug is affecting devices as old as 20 years. Initially, reports only talked of the damage it wascreating towards Mac OS and Windows computers. However, it is now being noticed that Android smartphones are being affected too. While Google has patched the bug on several platforms, Microsoft and Intel have confirmed the bug to be 2018’s first major widespread flaw.
As per Engadget, “We are in the process of deploying mitigations to cloud services and have also released security updates to protect Windows customers against vulnerabilities affecting supported hardware chips from Intel, ARM, and AMD,” said Microsoft.
The Gadgetsnow reported that Google’s Project Zero has confirmed that the bug is running on both Android and ChromeOS platforms. An update will be rolling out on January 23 for the Chrome users so as to help them mitigate the attack. For now, users can enable the ‘site isolation’ feature as a temporary method for protection.
The chipmaker has acknowledged the existence of the vulnerability; the vulnerability being towards gathering sensitive data from the computers. However, Intel also stated that the bug cannot corrupt, delete or modify data.
“Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time,” said the company’s newsroom website.
Also, the company has sent out updates about its firmware and hardware to its partners to decrease the level of impact. Intel is yet to give out details pertaining to when and how will it be rolling a fix to this flaw.
Sources: Gadgetsnow , Endgadget
San Francisco, July 29: Microsoft Corporation has announced the cut down of 2,850 additional jobs over the next twelve months in the phone business. Hit by a $7.6 billion failed Nokia experiment, the technology giant has decided to cut 7,400 jobs globally by the end of fiscal year 2017.
Earlier in May, the company had cut 1,850 jobs signaling the end of Nokia experiment writing off $950 million, of which $200 million was used for severance payments.
As reported by The Indian Express, a spokeswoman said, “the large scale effects are to be felt in the smartphone hardware operations and sales related sectors and most jobs are likely to be cut in Finland.”
The company’s Lumia and Windows restructuring strategy has incurred huge losses and fall in market shares since its inception. Microsoft had reported earlier this month that its revenue fell by nine per cent.
Speaking on the issue, CEO Satya Nadella told the Indian Express that the company shall continue with its innovation. The company plans to refrain from launching anything in the immediate future and rather focus on the development of Windows 10.
Source: The Indian Express, The Hindu
Few days ago, a blogpost by Whatsapp revealed that it will be withdrawing its services from various operating services like Blackberry, Symbian 40, Symbian 60, Android 2.1 and 2.2 devices and Windows Phone 7.1 by the end of 2016. Newer version of Windows, like Windows 10 will continue to receive the services.
The blog said that as the market consists 99% of Android, Windows Phone 8, iOS and above device. Though many platforms will suffer due to this decision there is some relief for Blackberyy 10 users as they have access to android applications within the Operating System. Loss of Hub integration will still be present, but for the usage of Whatsapp that is the only way.
Whatsapp said that though these mobile devices have been an important part of their journey, lack of capabilities hinder the expansion of the application’s features for the future. Despite being a tough one, Whatsaapp told that for giving better options to keep in touch with friends and family it had taken this decision.